Friday, January 8, 2016

Brides Who've Been There: 11 Tips For a Peaceful Wedding Day

I'm taking a blogging break to soak up our sweet Lily Grace (and, let's be honest, to keep my head above water through this beautiful newborn chaos), so I asked some of my married friends to contribute in my absence.  Over the next few weeks, they'll be taking over to chat about wedding planning, bridal beauty and style, and sharing stories about their newlywed days.  

Today, I asked them to share what they wish they'd known about planning for a smooth, peaceful wedding day.


catholic bride advice, catholic wedding advice, site for catholic brides, catholic weddings, catholic wedding blog, catholic wedding site, catholic engagement advice, catholic brides, catholic wedding planning, catholic marriage prep, captive the heart

If at all possible, I highly recommend doing as many of the following on your wedding day, before the ceremony: confession, Adoration, and praying with your spouse.  We didn't plan it, but we prayed with a door between us, and the voice of my sweet husband-to-be drowned out every distraction or frustration. - Amanda

husband and wife praying before wedding ceremony, bride and groom praying before wedding, bride and groom praying before wedding mass, tips for a peaceful wedding day, how not to stress on your wedding day, how not to be bridezilla, peaceful wedding day advice, catholic wedding advice, catholic weddings, catholic wedding blog, catholic wedding site, catholic bride blog, catholic brides, catholic weddings, catholic wedding planning, catholic marriage prep, captive the heart
Amanda and Anthony praying before their nuptial Mass!
I read this somewhere about halfway through our engagement and wedding planning: the day is, and isn't, all about you.  It is, of course, the day you pledge your life to your best friend, but it's also a celebration in which you've invited many of your closest friends and family to take part.  Remember those people, your guests.  Most of your planning is for them.  Putting my guests first in mind gave a whole new perspective to our planning and made things much more selfless and peaceful.  - Sheena

Eat!  In the hustle and bustle, it's easy to forget.  Try and take some private time with your (new!) spouse to eat a little something before the reception. - Sylvia

As a wedding coordinator who meticulously planned every detail of her own wedding, I KNOW it can be hard to let go, but you've got to do it.  Either hire someone, or have a trusted friend or family member be your liaison for the day.  I can't even tell you how freeing it was that day to just eat, drink, and dance without a worry in the world.  I'm sure something went wrong behind the scenes,  but no one has confessed!  Second, assign someone to be in charge of bustling your gown, and have her come to your final fitting to learn to do it quickly.  One time I tied my friend's bustle on the limo ride to the reception!  Third, see if you and your groom can spend time in Adoration before your wedding; I wasn't able to, but my husband was.  At one point the church coordinators were frantically looking for him and I calmly told them to check the Adoration chapel.  I know my man!  - Andi

Plan in advance a few photos that are really important for you to have, and get those.  But don't waste the whole day on pictures.  Delegate everything--you won't be able to remember anything you're supposed to do before the ceremony or at the reception!  Plan for someone else to take all the stuff you used for getting ready earlier in the day to where it needs to go, so you don't have to worry about it after the reception.  - Rachel

The best part of our wedding day is that we received three sacraments--we both went to confession moments before our Mass began, so we were able to receive absolution, Holy Communion, and Holy Matrimony all within the same fantastic hour.  After confession, I made my penance before the Blessed Sacrament and knelt before the tabernacle in a big puff of a white dress just giddy.  I was so, so excited to get married! - Katie

tips for a peaceful wedding day, how not to stress out on your wedding day, how not to be be bridezilla, katie sciba, the catholic wife, catholic husband and wife, catholic engagement photo, catholic wedding advice, catholic weddings, catholic wedding blog, catholic brides, catholic bride blog, blog for catholic brides, catholic wedding planning, catholic marriage prep, captive the heart, site for catholic wives, site for catholic fiances
Katie and Andrew
One thing I wish I'd done better was to let the disappointments go. A few days before our wedding, I'd had a stressful situation with two close family members, which carried over into feelings of gloom and resentment on the wedding day.  I wish I'd been more purposeful about setting that situation aside.  I know I would have enjoyed our big day more if I hadn't been so distracted by the negatives. - Julie

If something doesn't go according to plan, it's okay!  A sacrament will still take place, even if the ring bearer goes down the aisle with his eyes closed, even if your brand new husband spills coffee on your dress, or even if the speakers for the dancing don't work (all things that happened at our wedding).  Down the road, these little hiccups will be the things you look back on and laugh about. - Anna

The only regret we've ever expressed is that in trying to save money, we failed to provide our guests with hors d'oeurvres while they were waiting for us to finish the picture-taking, and people were hungry! - Leslie

My husband and I think back to our wedding day and laugh because we only got to have one dance together, only briefly sat down to eat our dinner together, and other than our actual ceremony, we were being pulled this way and that.  We weren't angry over it or anything, but I had no idea guests would monopolize so much of our time.  I guess I had a fairytale dream in my head that we would spend the day gazing lovingly into each other's eyes.  If I could say one thing, be sure to have more than one dance, and realize that your together time will come with the honeymoon.  - Amy

Enjoy the moment!  It goes by so fast.  Remember how you felt when you walked down that aisle towards your husband.  It truly is the best feeling in the world.  - Emily

Your turn!  If you're recently (or not-so-recently!) married, how did you plan for and surround yourself with peace on your big day?



1 comment:

  1. This is undoubtedly the most special event venue in the city. We had 6 passed appetizers with the Liguria table which consisted of steamed veggies and fruits and breads. I didn't even care that I'd just been to another feast less than 12 hours ago. At wedding venues Los Angeles I could not stop eating.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...