Friday, September 27, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Volume 29


{story of a soul, condensed}

Visit Jen at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

{1} Please say some prayers for my grandfather, who had a stroke about a week ago.  Thanks be to God, he is recovering very well and doesn't seem to have been affected too much physically or mentally, but there are still questions to be decided about a future surgery and some other measures.  Thank you so much!

{2} I'm so looking forward to a weekend of nesting!  I feel like we've been so busy lately, but I can't ignore this sneaking feeling that our baby is going to come a little early before we even have a place for him to sleep or any tiny clothes washed for him.  Andrew and I went shopping for a few things this week, and after two incredibly generous baby showers, we are close to having all of the basics covered, but everything's still in boxes and I still need to order a few of the big things like diapers and whatnot.  We are so anxious to meet our sweet little guy!  Preparedly, of course...



Very anxious indeed.
{3} We're also going apple picking, a family tradition, this weekend!  You know those two showers?  The setup for one of them was that we were going on our orchard trip, only, Andrew and his brothers kept giving me wayyy more details than normal about where to pick everyone up and when to get there and I have to admit I was a little suspish.  But, surprise-revealed or not, it was still such a wonderful afternoon with both of our families, and I've been so amazed at the love and generosity people have for a little baby who's not even born yet.  The other shower was thrown by my friends and sisters-in-law, and it really was a huge surprise--I'd thought Andrew and I were going on a double date with my siblings-in-law for Mediterranean food, which is always enough to get this homebody out of the house and on a date, only to be surprised at the door!  So, so thankful.

{4}  I can't stop with the baby fever takes (I'm wracking my brain for a Bieber joke and am coming up short)...on the subject of preparedness, any advice from you mamas on unexpected items to make sure I bring to the hospital?  I've been reading things here and there and making a list, but I'd love to know if there's anything you found extra comfy or anything you wished you'd brought along, beyond the typical PJ's-camera-birth plan-Gatorade front.

{5} Blog posts telling Robin Thicke to man up are kind of old news now, I realize, but my friend Angie shared this article recently, in which the language from "Blurred Lines" is compared to the language of sexual violence, that really struck at my heart.  Read it.  

{6} Clearly I have my priorities straight...if my baby were to be born tomorrow, he'd have bare buns and no bed, but at least I could record all of it--we've been saving up for a DSLR camera for almost a year, and I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago.  I love it so far and have been trying to read as much as I can.   It was really important to me (and to my ever thrifty husband) that if we splurged on a fancier camera, we learned over time how to use it to its full capabilities beyond the Automatic modes; it didn't make sense to us to get something expensive and very adaptable and then use it the same way we would a regular point and shoot.  That said, I'm a very eager student right now!  This site has been an awesome resource, but I've been a little overwhelmed trying to find other tutorials or books.  Any recommendations?

{7} Also in the interesting articles category, did you read this one about why parents shouldn't send their daughters to college?  All due respect to the Catholic family ministry that published it, but I found the article incredibly presumptuous, negative, and full of logical fallacies.  A few days afterwards, I found myself really enjoying Haley's response, as well as this post from the National Catholic Register, by a stay at home mom who went to Princeton.  Thoughts? 

Off I go to pick apples and feather our nest.  Have a wonderful weekend; let me know what you're up to!

21 comments:

  1. Our baby came a week and a half early, contrary to all expectations. When my water broke Wednesday evening, I looked at my husband and said "oh... guess I better wash some of her clothes?" HA. We'd moved into our new house 10 days before so I think we are excused.

    That anti-college article is silly silly silly! I don't think that college is necessary or even preferable for everyone, but my reasons don't have anything to do with girls not being able to control themselves at the sight of a handsome male. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Lucia at a birth center so our needs were different (no overnight stay, but we had to bring our own food/snacks for during/after labor), but I will say that some hair ties are really nice! You might realize you really NEED your hair to be up and out of your face during labor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo, a shout-out! :) I'm glad you are sharing it! As sad as it is, I think the more people that are aware, the better. So happy for your little one to be coming along soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Every time I go past the song on the radio now, it makes me angry in a new way, thanks to the article. The camera is a Canon Rebel T3i.

      Delete
  4. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of DSLR did you end up getting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at your beautiful baby bump!

    p.s. Thank you for visiting my blog and for your comment, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Most importantly, you look so beautiful! Pregnancy really agrees with you, Stephanie. :)
    2. Bring comfy, fuzzy socks to the hospital. I couldn't have survived without them. That super thin, cheap hospital blanket did very little to warm my chilly feet.
    3. I read that article, re: Blurred Lines and the sexual assault victims. It was heartbreaking.
    4. I hate, HATE that article about not sending your daughters to college. As a college-educated, Catholic, stay at home mom, I was insulted beyond words. As was my husband. I have yet to read the follow up articles, but I will do so shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Thanks so much!
      2. I definitely wouldn't have thought of that, especially since I always seem to be too warm these days! Thanks!
      3. Absolutely.4
      4. Same here! Hope you enjoyed the follow ups!

      Delete
  7. You look adorable! I highly recommend the ebook, Say No to Auto by Kristen Duke. She is awesome (lives in Austin!) and has great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful....
    Good luck and happy nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look beautiful! Funny, one of my takes today is about a camera class online that is amazing and only lasts a month - nicolesclasses.com. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your picture! Such a cute baby bump! I'll be praying for your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prayers for your grandpa! And I didn't think I'd use any of it, but I ended up loving having my hair dryer (i rarely even dry my hair at home) and makeup. They just gave me a little pick me up when I was feeling out of sorts.

    You look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That baby's gonna pop out any day now! ;) Bring a comfy, jersey knit nightgown that you can easily just pull aside to nurse in. I love the one I purchased from Target and it was perfect. So comfy. So easy to nurse in. So glad I got it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha. We ran out and bought a new camera too--were very happy we did :)

    I think I mentioned to Andrew already, but I would say bring snacks. Lots. You can have liquids during labor--lots of water, popsicles! Jello, even soup broth. Highly recommend it. Also, they'll have some things there. I was STARVING right after she was born, so snacks are very helpful!

    I would say (though I'm sure you've heard) bring maybe 2 outfits. When baby's there he'll be swaddled, most likely, but on the ride home, he'll need a snuggle onesie. Maybe bring 2 for the sizes..F went right into 3 months and never touched newborn because she was so tall!

    Also, not sure if they have birthing balls (you could ask--most due). Otherwise bring yours! Deflate it though , lol :)

    I was also glad that I bought a nursing nightgown/robe right before. The robe was helpful for when visitors came and also with the fluctuating body temp/sleeping/being upright in the bed.

    LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the packing advice! According to my info packet, there is one (!) birthing ball in all the hospital, so you can bet I'm bringing my own =) xoxoxo

      Delete
    2. Oh my!! Yeah, we found the birthing ball helpful when I had some back labor--just resting complete still and having Andrew press firmly on the small of your back during one will really help! Gah you will be holding him and kissing his little toes so soon!!! Goes by so fast! We'll be praying! Keep up posted if you can :)

      Delete
  14. You look GREAT! For the hospital I recommend snacks (for you AND Andrew...my man gets hungry all the time lol), socks or slippers, and maybe a blanket. Michael stayed overnight with me and the blankets for me were good but the one for guests was insufficient. Oh! And Lanolin cream!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these responses are giving me the impression that the hospital will be an icebox! Thanks so much!

      Delete
    2. Ours definitely was! Then again...we are in Florida where they looove to blast the AC. Michael is almost always hot, though...so for him to be cold means a place is seriously chilly. I'd pack a blanket just in case!

      Delete
    3. Jed was cold, but you may find that you have a lot of hot flashes and like the cool. There should be a thermostat in your rooms though :) I had to make Jed keep turning it up. He had two sweaters lol!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...