Friday, August 23, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Volume 26

{story of a soul, condensed}

Visit Jen at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

{1} I've been dying to say this, and now I finally can...last Winter, I got a huge, blessed surprise when I was asked to write a book for Catholic brides!  I just signed a publishing contract a few weeks ago and am actively working on a manuscript.  With all that stuffs going on, plus our baby arriving in what feels like so soon, things might get a little quieter here and there in blogland, but I can promise you I'm not going anywhere!

{2} Speaking of our baby, Andrew and I are about 95% settled on a name for our little peanut!  He's had a nickname for months now, and it's been surprisingly easy to switch over to calling him by his future name.  I didn't think I could be more excited to meet him, but this makes things feel even more real!



{3} Beth, one of my best friends, is having a baby boy, too, and our little ones will be born just a few months apart!  I love these photos we took last weekend and keep wishing wombs came with windows--I'm imagining the babies waving to each other from in there!

{4} I read this article recently about tattoos and the Theology of the Body--if the body expresses the person, asks the author, are tattoos consistent with what our bodies are meant to communicate?  I was intrigued because it's a subject I've had a few conversations about here and there (and one that I don't have a super strong opinion on because I've never heard an entirely logical, sound argument either for or against tattoos), but, all due respect, the good points Emily makes still didn't seem to directly answer the question of whether or not tattoos on the body do or do not express the person.  My thinking says a tattoo that's impulsively chosen isn't really a reflection of the person (though I also don't think it's really a moral issue), but that if words or images are chosen with the desire to sincerely express a truth one feels in his or her soul, then it really could be a reflection of who he or she is.  Side note: there's currently no ink, and there probably won't ever be, on this girl, though, like I said, I don't find it a big deal or a defilement of the gift or anything.  But, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts!  Read the post and tell me what you think!

{5} Other recent internet finds...a recipe I'm hoping will recreate the most delicious toasted marshmallow milkshake a friend treated me to, a free Matisyahu album, and (this isn't recent, I guess) the classic pair of boots I've debated buying every Fall for probably the last 3 years.

{6} Your input, please: any good prenatal yoga or stretching routines you recommend?  I have to admit I haven't been exercising nearly as much as I'd like or as is good for me (read: I haven't really been exercising, period since we moved), and I think the ol' muscles, especially the ones in my back, could use some TLC.  My workouts, when they happen, mainly consist of the P90X kickboxing and arm and leg DVDs and clips from those Just Dance games on YouTube, but I want to start giving some of the gentler stuff a try, too.  Suggest away.

{7} We're hosting a little college reunion dinner party tomorrow and I can't wait!  During the two years Andrew and I lived out of state, we were always guests and never hosts, and I'm so excited to finally have friends over myself.  Enjoy your weekend, too; I'd love to know what you're up to!


25 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the book contract, Stephanie. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your publishing contract! That is incredibly exciting!! And the baby bump is still sooo precious! :) You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Lynne; thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the book! One of my goals is to someday publish a book and I'm starstruck every time I hear about someone becoming a REAL author! You know, like with a book and all! What an incredible accomplishment!

    As for tattoos, I think that most people with tattoos, myself included, see them as a symbol of who they were at a moment in time, not their entire self over their entire life. While some tattoos I'm sure will always somewhat reflect who I am - for example the cross I have or the one that says "worthy of love" (which is what my name, Amanda, means) - others are more momentary - the three stars that I got with two friends the night before we graduated high school - but not something I regret because they no longer express me in this current moment, they are a reminder of where I was and who I was when I got them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another thought - our body wears the physical signs of our past, for example stretch marks from pregnancy and scars from childhood injuries. Tattoos are simply physical signs that we choose instead of ones nature chooses for us.

      Delete
  4. A huge congratulations on the book! I am so excited for you :)
    And you are just looking so adorable in the bump pictures. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Excited for you too and Baby Barnes!

      Delete
  5. Wow congratulations on the book! I know it will be just a beautiful piece of work, and I look forward to reading it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Claire! Saw your tagged post; hopefully I'll get to do it soon =)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the book!!!!! I may just know someone who would be very interested in ordering, say 100 copies, every year to give to engaged couples she works with ;).

    A good friend of mine saw a prenatal chiropractor her entire pregnancy and she loved it - both times. It helps with delivery too b/c everything is in line. Also, The Man would suggest prenatal massage (just make sure the therapist has experience).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the book! So exciting!

    Just wanted to pass along some information I've picked up from listening to EWTN - yoga is a 'detachment exercise' used in the Hindu religion to free the body from 'karma'. It may not exactly be Catholic appropriate (although many Catholics claim it is just for exercise...I have heard the comparison that it would be like non-believers making the Sign of the Cross 'just for exercise'). See this website for more information: http://www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?cat=11 and http://www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=19252

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perspective I've meant to research here and there; in my admittedly limited knowledge, I tend to fall into the "just exercise" camp, but I definitely want to be prudent. Thanks for the links!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the book. My comment about tattoos is that I worked as a lifeguard on a navy base for four summers and saw lots of old men with old tattoos. Even if I liked the way they looked when new I wouldn't have like what I saw then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I think something similar was motivation for me, too!

      Delete
  9. Oh, and my other tattoo comment is to take a look at a 20 year old or older high school yearbook and then tell me why you would want a permanent fashion accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray on the publishing contract, can't wait to read it!

    About the tattoos...I agree that if it is chosen impulsively then it probably doesn't reflect the person, but if it communicate goodness, beauty, and truth, then I've got no problems with tattoos (in moderation)! I've actually had a tattoo designed for years but (1) I can't decide where I want to put it and (2) I hate needles. So, there's that!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the book, Stephanie!! I'm so excited for you!

    During both of my pregnancies, I did Crunch Mama yoga (you can buy it on Amazon). It's ridiculously cheesy, but the stretches and poses were great for pregnant women, and my back felt a million times better by the time I finished the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your congrats and for the recommendation, Marisa! I'll brace myself for the cheese if I go for the Crunch Mama =)

      Delete
  12. I found some good prenatal yoga videos on youtube. With appletv I can just watch them on the television instead of computer.

    OMG YAY about the book!!!! How awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much mama!! I'm such a YouTube workout-er, too!

      Delete
  13. I was always pretty against tattoos until I had a miscarriage. (I know, I'm not really making a fair argument there...;) ). Up until that time, I don't know that I had ever had anything so permanently life-changing that I felt needed to be memorialized. But in so many ways, losing my baby (as early and as quick as our pregnancy was) made me want to set a marker upon myself. Something so physical happened to me that I will never see the fruit of,and I needed a remembrance both of my grief and of God's goodness to me in that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really beautiful, Sarah. Thanks for sharing it!

      Delete
  14. Followed here from Jen. Congrats! Re pg fitness, I have a friend who just started a FB group for accountability for catholic pg women - all that is involved is the cost of the DVDs (through the p90 group..I forget, but think they are yoga related). Message me and I can send details.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...