Friday, July 26, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Volume 24

{story of a soul, condensed}

Visit Jen at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

{1} I'm so content to return to blogging after a three-week moving hiatus!  Settling into a new area has been much more of a Cross than I anticipated.  There were complications and delays with the lease on our apartment and the arrival of our moving pod that meant staying with family for a more extended period than we'd originally thought, and it's felt like Satan's been all over the simplest tasks, like laundry, navigating a new town, and getting together a few documents that Andrew needs for school.  But, living much closer to family and friends has been a huge blessing and consolation.

{2} My heart has been heavy for the past week.  In addition to the other stresses of moving and settling, I'd accepted a job a few weeks ago that would've been an ideal setup for our family, but just learned that it can't happen right now.  It's been difficult, honestly, to see where the Lord is leading us.  Starting from scratch and applying for work at seven months pregnant is intimidating, and for now, I am looking for nannying and tutoring opportunities.  Please pray for discernment for me, that I might find peace and clarity in whatever new decision is best for us and our little guy on the way, and for speedy employment.

{3} On a happier note, though, Andrew and I celebrated our second anniversary on Tuesday!  One gift of me not working right now and him not starting school for a few more weeks is that we got to spend the entire day together.  We slept late, went to Adoration and Mass, and just spent the afternoon relaxing.  We treated ourselves to giant burritos from one of our favorite places for dinner--not the fanciest, most romantic anniversary meal, maybe, but a simple, delish choice for our current income (which is none until Andrew's semester begins), and they definitely hit the spot for this pregnant girl!  i feel so blessed by my husband and by the ease of our relationship even during harder times like these.  Thanks be to God, all of our difficulties are outside of us, and things between us still feel so wonderfully loving and strong.

{4} And now, if I may steal the spotlight from the royal baby for a minute, some pregnancy updates!  Our baby, at 27 weeks, is just over two pounds, and according to my books, is starting to recognize voices!  Even before now, we've been talking to him constantly, just so excited to meet him, and now it feels even more exciting that he's learning how we sound!  One of my favorite things lately has been watching my belly move around from our baby's little rolls and swims when I sit down and recline.  He moves like a champ.





{5} Our new apartment has the most beautiful light--we took these bump photos a few days ago!

{6} Another blessing of having some open time for a while has been working on a registry for our baby! We live in a pretty cozy (a.k.a. tiny) space right now, so I want to make sure we get only what we need and to try finding items that can multitask, like a Pack and Play that can also function as a bed for a while.  And so, mamas: your advice, please!  What are the most helpful items to register for?  What didn't you anticipate needing that you wished you'd picked out or received?  What don't we need (I imagine there's a lot of this)?  And if anyone can put my mind at ease, is it still possible to cloth diaper when you share a laundry facility?

{7} I got our first parenting book, on a lot of other moms' advice, from a consignment store last weekend.  My friend Beth is expecting her first sweet baby boy, too, and we went shopping!  I tried not to go too crazy on all of the cute clothes and toys, but I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Karp's The Happiest Baby On the Block, which is all about soothing newborns by imitating their life in the womb. I don't think I'll be too big on books about actual parenting methods, as opposed to just caring for your baby like this book describes, but if you have any other recommendations I'm all ears!

Looking forward to finally writing more consistently again!  Visit again on Monday for more thoughts on our anniversary, and have a wonderful weekend!



15 comments:

  1. 1. You look absolutely gorgeous!!
    2. Both of my babies loved the swing. I loved the moby wrap for the newborn baby wearing stage, and now I'm loving the Ergo. Skip the Bjorn-it will hurt your back, and most babies don't like the position. I use my nursing cover, My Brest Friend and a Baby Einstein gym on a daily basis.
    3. I've heard that it IS possible to CD in a laundry facility, but more challenging. You will probably want to buy a big pail for soaking dirty diapers in cold water, since you won't be able to soak diapers in a community washer. We are CD Alessandra, and honestly even with the extra laundry I'm loving it so far. I'm a CD convert!
    4. I love The Happiest Baby on the Block. Worked very well with both of my babies-gentle methods for soothing tired, crying babies is definitely a win for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement; you are so sweet, Marisa! Right now I'm looking at the Boba wrap and carrier...if you have any advice about Boppy vs. My Brest Friend, please do drop me a line!

      Delete
    2. I have both. The boppy is good for propping baby up, or practicing tummy time, but for me personally I think it's a little awkward to use for nursing. I've heard great things about the Boba wrap/carrier but I never tried it.

      Delete
  2. I had to let go of cd with my babies bc of so many stressors for me, but its def doable if you are motivated!and dont mind laundry! Get a potty sprayer for sure. Dont feel like a failure if you let itgo, or be willing to use disposables for travel, outings, and sick days. I loved having a changing table, but a clear dresser top and foldable pad can work just as well. Ikea if you have one has great ideas. Second the recommendation of the Ergo for sure, but as a newborn its hit or miss til 4 mos or so (3 if hes really big!). Also enjoyed moby for newbies my 2nd time around. Moving is tough!!! We did it at that pt in pregnancy w my 1st but within the locale. You look and sound great!!! God bless and enjoy this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfit is adorable and I am definitely praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your prayers, Sarah!

      Delete
  4. Such cute picts, Stephanie! I love the lighting.
    I agree about skipping the Bjorn- we went with that since it was cheaper, but my shoulders are always so sore after using it, I finally ordered an Ergo! We also use a pack n' play w/ the bassinet "attachment" for the first few months. Also, not sure if this is feasible, but borrowing things has helped us since storage is minimal, and babies grow out of things fast- like swings and Exersaucers. Finally, I like our foldable infant bather (Summer brand, I think). And my favorite advice- "If it works for you, do it!". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the borrowing and the foldable tub ideas...those things are monsters! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. So glad to see you're back to blogging :) Sending prayers as you start this new chapter in your life. Your tank top is really cute and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second the pack n' play with bassinet "attachment"! We used that for the newborn days right next to our bed. We also had a convertible swing that could also be used as an infant seat, then toddler rocker. 3-in-1 is always good :)

    We also liked having a play mat/activity gym. It was great to put on the floor on even right in the pack n play.

    I tried all different kinds of baby carriers and we actually did like the Bjorn (especially the new ones that have the lower back support strap - my one complaint about the old version). We liked others too but used this most often (the most "husband" friendly of the bunch we had as well). Although I never did try the Ergo. I have friends that swear by it but our babies loved to face forward in the Bjorn - something they can't do in the Ergo unless they are on your back.

    Since you're looking to save space, you can probably skip the high chair and go with a portable feeding chair that straps onto a regular chair. We found one that reclined to accommodate our babies at different stages and loved it.

    Lastly, you are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually just watched the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD instead of reading the book. It was a short movie but it was amazing to watch him soothe the babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome; my friend recently took a birthing and parenting class where they showed the DVD, and when we met her newborn it was like the shhh-ing and swaddling totally put a spell on her!

      Delete
  8. The reality is you really don't need much and your shower will give you a lot. You NEED a carseat. You want a carrier seat that attaches to a stroller and then a bigger seat for later. You need a crib. I never used the pack and play, but I did get a bassinet which I used. If the crib is in our room you wouldn't need that. You need a few waterproof pads and several crib sheets. The easiest thing to do is to put a crib sheet on the crib, then cover with the waterproof pad, then put on another sheet and another pad and another sheet. Then when the baby makes a mess in the crib in the middle of the night, pull off the top sheet and pad and you are good to go. A swing is nice, as is a jumper and an exersaucer etc. but some babies like them and some don't. You need clothes but not nearly as many as the stores tell you that you do, though if you have to go to a laundry you'll want more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to see a bump update!
    I've been keeping you in prayer during this moving process. I'm sorry it hasn't gone smoother but I know great things will come out of it.
    I'm having the same problem with registry things and we have a house! Everyone keeps telling me what to get, but they all have a different recommendation! It's getting overwhelming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for praying for us; I hope you've settled in nicely yourself! We'll have to keep each other up to speed on registry things =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...