Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Spirit Rejoices: Prayer of St. Francis

{sweet sounds for your Mass and reception}


Two summers ago when I finished my missionary year, I went back home for three weeks before my wedding.  Three weeks, we'd told ourselves when choosing a date, was plenty of time to wrap up all of our last minute things and not drag out our engagement (since Andrew was a student at the time, there was only a small slice of summer available to us for wedding dates).

Nope.  Not nearly enough time.  Dress hemming, assembling a beast of a cupcake tower (I admit, all credit for that thing goes to my sister), seating-charting...I was overwhelmed, to say the least.  Looking back, of course I'm glad that we got married when we did, and of course there would have been last minute stress regardless of how many days I was still counting down.

I wanted to make prayer and exercise a priority during those weeks just to keep my head on straight, but I have to say that I wasn't particularly accountable on either of those fronts.  What really did help me, though, was advice from a fellow bride.  My friend Breanna (read her love story here; she and her husband Dave are expecting a sweet baby girl this summer!) got married a few weeks before me, and we were chatting one night shortly after she got back from her honeymoon.  I told her about all the stress I was feeling, and she said that the best advice passed to her was to pray for peace.  Peace that everything would fall reasonably into place, peace that tiny details ultimately wouldn't matter, and the joyful contentment of knowing she was marrying her best friend in a matter of days.  The Prayer of St. Francis, the one that goes, "make me a channel of Your peace," helped her more than anything else, Breanna said, and she and Dave even used the song as part of their nuptial Mass!

So, in the spirit of Breanna's wisdom, I can say firsthand that praying for peace really is one of the best ways for any bride to deal with stress, deadlines, and general wedding crazies.  With that, I humbly, shamelessly suggest stealing her song choice for your own Mass.  I think the Prayer of St. Francis would be such a beautiful addition to your preludes or for contemplation during the presentation of the gifts!

Your turn: what's the best bride-to-be advice you received?


2 comments:

  1. I wish someone would have told me that!! The prayer to St. Francis would have helped me greatly during the last few months before our wedding (we were having family issues at the time, and it was a particularly stressful period). The best advice I received was from a friend who attended our wedding. "Accept that something is going to go wrong. Just realize it's not the end of the world, and move on and enjoy your day." Very true. One of my bridesmaids canceled on me the day before the wedding, and I refused to let it weigh me down. Another one of my bridesmaids walked down the aisle with two groomsmen, and it worked out just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you definitely had one of the more major last minute emergencies I've heard of! But, you're absolutely right that expecting perfection can just bring on extra stress and disappointment. Your friend gives good advice =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...