Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Inspired: Gatsby Style

{delights}

I have to admit, my attention tends to alternately wander from or get overloaded by Baz Luhrmann, the director of Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge, and most recently, The Great Gatsby.  The novel is one of my absolute favorites, and in spite of mixed reactions to these very stylized, jumpy movies, I do think I'd like to see it down the line sometime.

Regardless of my cinematic opinions, there's no denying the classic glamour of the 20s, no?  Dropped waists, ankle straps, a healthy sprinkling of gold, and slightly more dramatic makeup than usual...I love it all.  If you're concerned about your wedding looking like a costume party, don't be! I humbly suggest including just a few of these elements, rather than going all out, and grounding them with a simple palette of black and white, plus a pop of color, like eggplant, burgundy, peach, or mint.

True, the world of the novel is flawed, shallow, and excessive, but I don't think that detracts one bit from the beauty of pieces like these (links below):

1, 2, & 7.  Dresses, Modcloth.  3, 4, & 5.  Bangles and Earrings, Bauble Bar.  6.  Sandals, Zappo's.  8 & 9.  Cocktail glassware, C. Wonder.  10, 11, & 12.  Polish in Lucy, Paris, and Claudette, Julep.  13.  Headpiece, Etsy.
What do you think?  Would you add some Gatsby-inspired soiree style to your day?  And should I go see the flick?


P.S.  Today is moving day!  Prayers, please!

2 comments:

  1. So pretty! I have to admit I love the style of the 20s fiercely! And I just reread The Great Gatsby and rediscovered why I loved it the first time around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I love the glamour of the 20s, and that headpiece is gorgeous!
    I saw this Etsy shop on IHOD, and it also has a Gatsby inspired collection geared towards weddings:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/AcuteDesigns?section_id=12381195

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...