Monday, May 27, 2013

Your Beautiful Soul


Alright, you guys.  I'm putting it all out there today.  This weekend, Jesse McCartney's song "Beautiful Soul" came on my 2000s Pop Pandora station.  And I liked it.  Loved it, in fact, just as much as my 16-or-so-year-old self did when it first came out.  I am only minorly embarrassed by this, somehow.

Aside from the fact that most male musicians who rise to fame with a sweet, pure-hearted love song often radically, trashily depart from that vibe in later songs to avoid getting pigeonholed (I'm looking at you, Bruno Mars), I don't think that detracts from the purity of their more innocent material.  The thing that got me about the song, which I haven't heard for at least a good five years, this time around, was the emphasis on the soul.

If you've been reading this blog for a while, or maybe if not, you might have deduced that my heart has been invaded, in the best way, by the Theology of the Body (see here, here, and here).  I know the intention of the song probably isn't to share some theological discourse with the world (definitely know, in fact), but having been immersed in Blessed John Paul's amazing words about the human person, created man or woman, body and soul, and made for God, I feel like the connection's impossible for me to ignore, even if it wasn't intentional.  Spirituality tends to do that, doesn't it?  Does that ever happen to you, where you start noticing truths of the faith or of human nature just in the everyday, once you've become aware of them?

A major teaching of the Theology of the Body is that the body expresses the soul; it expresses the person.  It's a visual, tangible manifestation of who we are, and the body and soul can't be separated.  For me, that's both so simple and so impossible to grasp, and I love to think about it: who we are isn't just inside of us, it is us.

So on one level, Jesse McCartney is saying he wants a girl with a good, loving, beautiful heart, not just "another pretty face, not just anyone to hold" and all that good stuff.  On another, though, in light of the Pope's understanding, he's saying he wants a girl who's a beautiful person, good and loving and lovely in her entirety.  Her specifically, and her unrepeatably.  Cheesy, maybe, but oh so incredibly true.  Talk about a love song.

P.S.  Did you watch the video in the link above?  Tell me if you find it as hilarious as I do that the video people basically showed Jesse McCartney driving a car the whole time, probably to prove that he was older than, say, twelve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...