Monday, May 6, 2013

My Spirit Rejoices: Your Love Is Strong and Haven't Met You Yet

{sweet sounds for your Mass and reception}

I have to admit, I was never a huge Switchfoot fan; I liked them well enough and all, I just wasn't particularly drawn to most of their songs.  When the lead singer, Jon Foreman, stepped out on his own, though, releasing 4 EPs, one for each season, over the course of a year, I was hooked.  The sound was different, less pop-rock and more quiet and folky, and I was so amazed by his honest, bold lyrics.  These were spiritual songs that weren't all just about praising God (which certainly isn't bad), but about the internal struggles of the Christian life.

Hmm.  I'm realizing, as I look at that last sentence, that the song I'm sharing with you today is, in fact, about praising the Lord.  No matter.  Your Love Is Strong expresses the beauty of His creation, "better dressed than any girl on her wedding day," and ends with the Our Father.  I know that a song by a semi-secular artist might not be the first that comes to mind for a wedding Mass, but having heard the song for the first time at a daily Mass on my college campus (a college very faithful to the Church), I love the context and think it'd be a wonderful choice for a meditation after communion!  Listen to the song here.

Since most of my friends were in serious relationships at the time I got married, and since I don't have too many younger girl cousins, I opted to skip the bouquet toss at my reception.  Instead, at my DJ's recommendation, we did an Anniversary Dance where my bouquet went to the longest-married couple.  If I was going to toss it, though, I totally would've picked Michael Buble's Haven't Met You Yet.  A dreamy, hope-filled song that's all about imagining your future beloved?  Yes please.  Surely you know it already, but if you need a pick me up, listen to it here.


What do you think?  Bringing more off-the-map Christian songs to your Mass?  Bouquet toss alternatives?  Chime in!


P.S. My monthly column is up today on Ignitum Today, about abstinence vs. chastity.  Check it out here.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on Jon Foreman! I was a huge Switchfoot fan from Jr. High to early HS, but have since become less and less interested in their old sound...but I'll have to find his new music! Sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This music sounds like just my cup of tea!! Must go check it out, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the Michael Buble song is perfect for a bouquet toss! It never crossed my mind before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instead of a bouquet toss, we opted for a 'pop the balloons' search. We had blown up tons of balloons (with air, not helium). Some had candy in them (a starburst), and one had a little flower. The girl who found the flower would get the bouquet. We did the same with a garter inside a balloon for the garter toss.

    It all sounded great in theory! We had lots of little kids, and when the balloons came out, well, let's just say we didn't have time for any directions. The kids just started jumping around in the balloons, and once they realized there was candy at stake, they started jumping on them to pop them! It was one of the highlights of the reception!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...