Friday, May 10, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Volume 20

{story of a soul, condensed}

Click here for more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!

1. We went to a talk and prayer meeting last week on the gifts of the Holy Spirit, given by one of my favorite priests.  He talked about how every person bears the fruits of the Spirit in different ways, some more strongly than others, and about how strength and weakness only find their meaning when both are present, placed next to each other like a big beefy dad holding his baby daughter.  Strength and weakness next to each other are beautiful, he said.  It made me think so clearly of dating and marriage, where two people can draw out one another's best and worst qualities and push each other on to holiness.  I loved it!

2. I read this article from Verily Magazine a few days ago, entitled, "The Myth Of the Ready-Made Soul Mate."  The idea, basically, is that it's risky to think that finding The One will guarantee a flawless marriage.  I totally agree.  Two things, though, gave me pause.  One is that "this ideal tempts you to delay marriage until you find the supposed soul mate."  The other is that "for any given person, there are several suitable mates, and none of them are perfect."  I definitely see the sentiments at work here, but I have to wonder if this wording is misleading--delaying marriage, for the right reasons (and not ones driven by the pursuit of an illusion), seems much better to me than settling or rushing into things, and as for the second point, I've always wondered if there is one person intended for everyone.  I can't imagine not being married to my husband, but if, God forbid, something ever happened to me, I'd want him to be happy and fulfilled, in whatever form that took (I get so worried about that sometimes).  What are your thoughts?

3. Strange Notions, a forum for dialogue between Catholics and atheists, launched this week, and there's plenty to chew on from people whose writing I love, like Fr. Robert Barron, Christopher West, and Leah Libresco.  Check it out here.

4. I wrote about distinguishing abstinence from chastity on Ignitum Today this week.  You can read it here.

5. Slightly cheesy and very excited moment: I realized that, unofficially, this Sunday will be my first Mother's Day!  Shoutout to all the mamas. 

6. Your recommendations, please: I'm off to buy an engagement present for my friends.  My go-to is a cast-iron skillet (you can read about why I'm so obsessed with them here), but they already have one!  So, help me out!  Do you have a favorite gift for newly engaged couples?  Did you get anything particularly special or unique?  I'd love to know!


7. Listen to this, a new-to-me cover of one of my favorites.  Can't stop listening.  Cannot stop.

Enjoy the weekend; I'd love to know what you're up to!  And if you remember, please say a prayer for the NFP class we are teaching tomorrow!


22 comments:

  1. One of my favorite gifts is two aprons. I usually prefer to find two non-matching, but equally awesome and perhaps complementary ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Your search has ended. You've found an ideal solution for the unique marriage ceremony. Why leave your precious moment to a person else’s words? We'll bring your ideas of affection making a unique song within the musical type of your preferred song & artist.
    I can help you with your custom wedding songs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your NFP class! And yay for your first mother's day! So exciting!
    I agree, I think if something ever happened to me I would want Jim to be happy (like with my grandpa who remarried after my grandmother passed) but it's so hard to think about your husband being with someone that isn't you! It's also such an awkward and sad thing to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is hard--I tend to think the same way. Thanks for your prayers!

      Delete
  4. Happy first mother's day, mama-to-be! :)
    One of my friends gave us these (http://www.dayspring.com/mr_and_mrs_mr_mug_/?gdftrk=gdfV2942_a_7c1251_a_7c8384_a_7c80674&gclid=CIKh4N3Ii7cCFVN0Mgod130A9w)

    matching "Mr. and Mrs." coffee mugs as a wedding gift and they make me smile EVERY.SINGLE.TIME I use them still. The best part? They have hearts on the bottom AND a line from Song of Songs inside, too. Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Forget gifting; now I want some for us!

      Delete
    2. P.S. Happy Mothers Day to you, too, mama =)

      Delete
  5. I love the new website by Brandon Vogt too, so good!
    We are going to a prayer meeting next Friday too to kick off a celebration for Pentecost...happy first mommy's day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long time lurker...love the blog! I know I need to comment more! One of my mom's go-to gifts for engagements or showers was a good meat thermometer. Sort-of random! So many people do not have a good one...electronic, timer, etc. My friends' from home never registered for one, but my mom bought it anyways. They all have commented on how much they use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not random at all! That totally falls in the category of things I'd never think of, but would definitely need to have and wouldn't spend on myself!

      Delete
  7. Happy first Mother's Day to a lovely Mama-To-Be!! :)

    Will and I have had the discussion many, many times of "what if xyz happens to one of us?" Having a husband in the Army who has been on multiple deployments has forced us to sit down occasionally (usually with a bottle of wine) and ask each other those questions you never want to have to ask the person you love the most. Will has said time and time again if anything happened to him, he would hope that I would find someone, a man who would love me and treat me well and be a good stepfather to our children. I told Will I would want the same for him (obviously a woman!), but he was very, very lukewarm on the idea. He said he would most likely become a priest if anything ever happened to me,as he couldn't fathom sharing his life with anyone else. I don't know. It's a hard thing to think about, and I hope and pray that we're never in that situation, at least not as a young married couple with small children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I can't imagine how the military life would make those questions so much more real. I try not to think about these things all the time and remind myself that the Father has always taken care of us, but I can completely understand how you feel. Happy Mothers Day to you, too!!

      Delete
  8. Happy first Mother's Day to you! So, so exciting! :)

    You can grill things on a cast iron skillet? And they're less than $20?! I'm sold!!

    Sending up some prayers for your NFP class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, the skillet! Stop me before I just go on about it again and just go get one! Thanks so much for your prayers =)

      Delete
  9. Happy Mother's Day!

    One of the best *wedding* gifts we got I WISH I'd gotten as an engagement gift, a little book called "The Newlwed's Instruction Manual: essential information, troubleshooting tips, and advice for the first year of marriage"--it provides directions for everything from getting your marriage license and changing your name to learning to live with another person and balancing family obligations for the holidays. Great book.

    Or, if your friends are of a religious bent, there's a beautiful little anthology, St. John Chrysostom's "On Marriage and Family Life," which my husband and I read together as part of our marriage prep, it was a really meaningful experience and helped us keep our marriage-prep God-centered rather than wedding-centered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of either of those books, thanks for the recommendations!!

      Delete
  10. Happy Mother's Day! James and I (like a lot of married couples, I think) have had that conversation, "what happens if you die?" I think that there are several different answers to that one, and they all relate to your particular situation. For example, let's say my husband dies when I have four middle school boys--I might very well remarry, just because I think it would be healthy for them to have a strong, constant father in their lives. But let's say he dies when I'm 40 and my children are all older or even out of the house. I might be less likely to remarry at that point. But I've never been in that situation, so who knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tell myself, too, that I never know what any given situation would be and try to just trust that the Lord knows our hearts and would grace either one of us with the best outcome, should anything ever happen. Happy Mothers Day to you, too, Miss Sarah!

      Delete
  11. I got a really cool (actually 2--I registered for it) electric wine opener for my shower! I haven't used it yet, but I've seen others use it and it's pretty cool! =)

    I used to really think that there wasn't just one person and that there are many possible partners for someone, until I too knew I was going to marry my fiance and now I couldn't imagine not marrying him! To some extent this could be true, but I don't think one would be as happy as they could be if they didn't marry the person God had willed them to marry. I read somewhere that it takes great obedience to decide to marry, so I like to think that God really does have a hand in it. We have had the conversation about whether or not we'd remarry if one of us died, and as sad as it would be, I would be open to it if the opportunity presented itself and if it really were for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the notion of obedience! And good call on the wine opener; I feel like alcohol-related gifts are usually a win among Catholic friends =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...