Friday, April 26, 2013

Sabotage.


Hi.  This is sabotage.


This blog has been taken over (temporarily) (and I mean that to say this one time only) (and this is all assuming that my wife hasn’t found me out yet) by me, Stephanie’s husband.  I’m not sure if she calls me by name on here, but I’m Andrew.


Anyways, why would I want to take over this blog, you might ask, when it is already so cool and awesome and excellent?  Well, that’s exactly my reason why.


I needed a public forum in which to proclaim to the world (of young, womeny brides-to-be) that Steph is one fantastic person (Does she use her name on her own blog?  I guess I should have done my research first.  But sabotage waits for no one.  Also, sabotage uses Steph’s name.).
 

Now, I’m not typically one for public declarations, and I still haven’t figured out why I felt the need to say this, but inspiration struck in the midst of the shower a few days ago (when much of my inspiration strikes) and hasn’t left yet.  And I knew it wasn’t the same as my other inspirations because this one wasn’t about food or video games.  So thus was born the idea of Andrew the Saboteur.  


I felt overcome by the desire to tell other people how amazing my wife is, because most people won’t see all the small, meaningful things she does at home.  For one:  she loves me.  Like, really, really loves me.  Loves me in the JPII sense of wanting what’s better for me.  Even if what’s better for me is kale (which I still haven’t fully embraced).  But in other things.  My first two weeks of grad school I lost 20 lbs.  I had no clue how to prepare a good meal and my monthly objective was to spend not a dollar more than 30 on such frivolities as food.   I was successful (if “success” means cheaply starving oneself).  But after we got married, my eating habits have changed and I feel better and healthier.  What I mean by this is that Steph looks out for me in ways that want what is truly best for me, even if it comes at some sacrifice—cost if we’re talking about healthier foods, and taste if we’re talking about kale.


For two: She is totally ok with each of us having our own free-time pursuits (like this blog for her, and like video games for me).  And she only makes fun of my video games a little bit: Ogre Battle (which is way more fun that it sounds) becomes the name she dubs any video game I play, even if it’s Dungeon Rampage (which has Yetis and not ogres, obviously) or Pokémon (which has Pokémon).  While she gently teases me about my video games, she has no problem putting a foot down (I dare not say her stomping is ogre-esque) when my leisure eats away at more important things (like family dinner or academic pursuits).  Again, everything with love.  She is remarkably loving, in spite of those times when I can be remarkably trying.


She calls me on in everything and she trusts me entirely.  So, we’re having a baby.  Is she scared to death that, with the near arrival of Young Drewzy (the hip name I’m pushing for our child, whether a boy or a girl), I’m off to get a PhD that pays less than minimum wage?  Of course (she’d be crazy not to be worried).  But does she trust that a) God will find a way to provide and b) we’ll find a way together to make it work?  Somehow, yes she does.  And that confidence builds my own confidence (in myself, in God, in the future).  


Steph continually finds beautiful ways of surprising me with her love.  Hopefully this sabotage can be a small, loving way of surprising her back.

15 comments:

  1. Andrew, this is adorable. And yes, we know your wifey is awesome, but thanks for reminding us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. is. awesome. Well done, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, you're the best and I can't wait to spend more time with you and the wifey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Andrew...you old romantic. I think I still have to bust your chops at some point because, ya know, that's my job, but I have no quarrel about you retaining your man-card. In fact, thumbs up bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrew! This is awesome. We know how awesome your wife is :) but this just shows how awesome you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, you guys are BOTH so cute! Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superabundance definitely at work, here. Awesome! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just fabulous! Good job hijacking the blog and giving your wifey some extra loving for the whole wide web to see =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew, this is awesome! She is lucky to have you as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww what a fantastic post. This made me smile at the end of a difficult day! You two are going to be amazing parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously. This is one of the sweetest things I've ever read.

    I can only pray that my husband is sweet enough to sabotage my blog....in the most loving way possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I found me a winner =) You ladies are so sweet; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your kind comments, everyone! This is the warmest reaction my sabotage ever received :^)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...