Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Spirit Rejoices: Joyful, Joyful and Unchained Melody

{sweet sounds for your Mass and reception}


Seriously, can you think of a better sentiment for the Easter season than purest joy?  And is there a hymn that expresses it better than Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee?  Flowering meadow!  Flowing fountain!  Giver of immortal gladness!  There is so much wonder, awe, and gratitude for all creation in these words.  I think an Eastertime wedding is an extra special time to sing it; you're literally partaking of the wedding feast of the lamb in the fullest way possible, and what with all the singing birds and rushing water, it just sounds like Spring, doesn't it?  I'm imagining it sung as an entrance or exit hymn with a nice big choir!  This version is beautiful.

Can I tell you something so embarrassing?  Andrew’s parents and my parents both have ancient VHS copies of that 90s movie Ghost, which is most famous, I think, for Patrick Swayze, who was like at the height of his heartthrob days, and for this ridiculous pottery love scene.  That’s not the embarrassing part.  The embarrassing part is that I figured if my burly, grown father and father-in-law both like it, it had to be good, so I watched it on Netflix one night.  Andrew laughed at me the whole time, even though I thought I kept it pretty credible by cringing for most of it.

Except for one thing.  The pottery scene was cheesy and hilarious, but oh, the song in the background was perfect.  I couldn’t bring myself to laugh at that.  The Righteous Brothers’ Unchained Melody has to be one of the most gorgeous songs ever written, no?  It’s got longing, missing, devotion, and the most beautiful, well, melody.  Luckily, Ghost didn’t taint my love for it.  I feel like no one can hate it, and if it has the power to elevate a horrible old love movie, just think what it could do for your wedding reception!  I think this would be a perfect slow dance for everyone from your college friends all the way up through your grandparents.  Listen to it here (link).

Tell me your take on these picks!  Any favorite choir songs or slow dances?


4 comments:

  1. Our first dance was Sinatra, I've Got you under my Skin. We danced to him in the rain once dating after a night of swing dancing, ever since then it kinda stuck... :)
    I do agree! That pottery scene was 'slightly' cheesy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Sinatra is a class act, though--I love the story behind your first dance!

      Delete
  2. Love! Our recessional was an upbeat version (we had piano, guitar & vocals and some reverent praise & worship incorporated) of "How Great Thou Art" - it was perfect! I agree, a joy-filled hymn is a must on the way out of the church!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the idea of adding Praise and Worship to your Mass; that's awesome!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...