Monday, April 1, 2013

..."And saw the stone removed from the tomb.*"


Happy Easter!  We had so much fun watching my family's egg hunt with all of my cousins running around and enjoying the Arabic feast Andrew's grandma had been working on for weeks! 

Yesterday, I found myself thinking a lot about the physical emptiness of the tomb on the day of the Resurrection and how Jesus leaves all that it signifies--death, darkness, and enclosure--behind, for Him and for us.  Maybe it's just my obsession, but Mumford and Sons' Roll Away Your Stone always brings to mind this image of Easter Sunday.  The line "roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine," to me, invokes the idea of removing every veil and every fear so you can stand, free and honest, before the Lord and before the one you love.  The song reveals that what's behind most of our stones are times of darkness or regret, yet when I think of the resurrected Christ walking around as Truth itself, that sort of honesty about who we are, sins and all, doesn't feel hopeless.  It feels redeemed, because it really is!

Vulnerability, in the form of admitting to our sins and weaknesses, can be such a scary thing, whether it's in the confessional or in your relationship.  Before Andrew and I dated, I never opened up much, nor communicated when something my boyfriend did was bothersome or out of line.  What my husband has taught me, though, is how unscary honesty can be when it's with someone you can trust completely to love you.  Even before we'd said the word love, Andrew drew out my most honest self just by being the honest person he already was.  I'd notice it in simple things, like when I wasn't afraid to change or cancel plans because I needed to study, and later in major things like sharing our pasts and our ideas about our life together.  

My husband's fearless honesty really has amplified every part of my life.  It's made me more accountable and reflective spiritually, with myself and in confession, it's made me a better friend who knows now that it's not unloving to call someone out when she needs it, and it's even diminished how easily I get embarrassed.  It's such a gift to me, and this season of new life has me amazed by it and hoping the Resurrection continually reminds me to bring what I'm tempted to keep in the dark out into Jesus' light.

I hope the Easter season fills you with, like the song goes, a "newly impassioned soul."


*John 20:1

P.S. Anna from In Honor of Design is giving away a pair of RayBan Wayfarers!  Fabulous.  Enter the giveaway here.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful reflection. Thank you! I find that I've been blessed as well, by honesty in my relationship with God, and with those around me. It's so freeing!! And what a way to build the culture -- no mind games, no pretension. Just Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring! My husband is similar and it is very motivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! We are blessed, you and I =) Happy Easter!

      Delete
  3. I used to cringe at how Bryan viewed vulnerability - like a gift! I was afraid of it. With time, I came to understand how his view is the correct one and how it makes life so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so beautiful! For me, I feel like it's always a work in progress! Happy Easter, Trista!

      Delete
  4. I love that Mumford and Sons song too...was listening to it as I curled my hair on Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my mind that's such a great image! Happy Easter Patty!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...