Friday, April 26, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Volume 19

{story of a soul, condensed}

Visit Jen at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

{1} If you said even one tiny prayer for Andrew and I as we waited to hear from what we hoped was his future school on PhD funding, consider my heart thankful to the brim.  He was just awarded a full scholarship, teaching two freshman English classes, and a much more generous stipend than we anticipated.  God is so good!  Now to find a place to live and work for me...I am such a beggar, but if you remember, please pray that we peacefully find the perfect new setup for us!

{2} Question: do you receive the answers I leave in response to your blog comments?  I love reading every last one and really enjoy responding to each of you.  It's started to dawn on me, though, that short of obsessively checking back on the page to see if there's an answer, there's no Facebook-style notification telling you when I write back.  That said, veteran bloggers, teach me your ways!  Does responding directly to a comment email, rather than the comment on the post, ensure that the writer receives it?  I'm thinking that's the way to go, and consider this a future disclaimer that even if my comments stop appearing right here on these pages, you can rest assured that I'll be reading and answering.

{3} Thanks to this interview on Ignitum Today, I've spent the better part of my downtime at work this weak gobbling up as many articles as possible on By Way of Beauty, brothers Matt and Wes' amazing site where entertainment, culture, and spiritual hunger meet.  Their reviews and analyses of movies, books, music, and TV in light of philosophy and the Christian soul's constant sense of searching are exactly up my alley, and I'm officially obsessed.  Check them out!  Now!

{4} My non-online reading, on the other hand, has run a little dry lately, aside from a natural childbirth book that I got.  I've been re-reading a novel I loved a few years ago, but somehow it's not really doing it for me this time around.  So, suggestions, anyone?  Tell me the last book you read and loved!

{5} Joy the Baker calls this the new mac n' cheese.  I have to admit that when there's neither mac nor cheese, I'm a little skeptical, but the insane vegetable aversion I've had for the past few months has finally subsided and I'm on the lookout for new ways to get my green on.  Her recipe's on my list of meals to try this weekend!

{6} NPR, I always thought you were just liberal mush, but I'll be forever thankful to you for this series of mini-concerts.  Click here for a huge list of amazing live performances by Brandi Carlile, The Civil Wars, Adele, The Avett Brothers, and plenty more artists, some I've already heard of and some I'm just discovering.  Gift!



{7} And here, possibly for your enjoyment but mostly for mine, a little 14-week bump action.  I just bought my first pair of maternity jeans.  They're like a bra, I discovered.  Everything looks bigger and better in them!  I think the secret's in the super cute, ribcage-height, no-one's-skin-is-really-that-color waist panel...

Have a wonderful weekend!  Tell me what you're up to, and say a prayer for sweet Emily as her wedding week begins!


P.S.  Andrew hijacked my blog.  Click here to admire the wit that I'm always bragging about!

35 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Andrew! I am so, so happy that everything worked out like that for you two. You are one beautiful mom!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet; thank you so much, Caitlin!!

      Delete
  2. I am SO SO happy that Andrew got funding!! So excited for you! And I loveee that baby bump :) thanks so much for the prayers! I can't believe it's almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! What great news! You are adorable! Praying the transition goes smoothly - St. Joseph, help these three (!!) out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much for your prayers Trista!

      Delete
  4. Look at that cute bump! Congratulations on the good grad school news and the little one one the way! God is good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the time! Thanks so much, Ellen!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photograph of you!! Also, I too get annoyed by the lack of notification about comment replies. Especially on Fridays, I end up commenting on a lot of blogs, and have found myself making a list in a word document so I go back and check if the person has replied!! Consider yourself on this weeks word document! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Word doc...good idea! Hope you had a wonderful weekend, Claire =)

      Delete
  6. You look so cute!

    As for the blog comments--ahem, let me plug WORDPRESS. :) If you're a WordPress blogger, every time someone responds to you on another WP blog you get a notification up in the corner of your screen. Maybe Blogger has something similar, but I haven't seen it, so I almost never get to see responses to my comments left on Blogspot. The other thing I like is that comment-leaving is wwwwwaaaaaayyy easier on WP, because if you're logged in you almost never have word verification. I know a lot of people are really attached to Blogger, but I started there and moved to WP and I would never, ever go back.

    (Case in point: My OpenID credentials are being questioned two blogs in a row. I have to be REEAAALALYY determined to leave a comment on a blogger blog today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider me so flattered that this little Blogger page was worth the comment! I've thought about switching to Wordpress for design reasons before, but I get nervous about communicating a new domain and things to my readers. The comment notification does sound so simple, and fairly tempting, though...I'd love any more advice you have; thanks so much, Kathleen!

      Delete
  7. #6 on NPR, I like some of their stories that are personal. There is a hidden message on the importance of family in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fair point! I do like some of the music shows that I hear on weekends now and then. I suppose it's their news bias that really gets to me, but you're so right, Renee, that nothing's all bad!

      Delete
  8. You look adorable!! And Andrew's post was the sweetest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the best! Thanks for reading, Nancy!

      Delete
  9. You are so cute!!!

    I hate the blogger comments because if I respond on my blog, so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring people, I don't think the original commenter sees it. But if I comment by email (when it doesn't come from no-reply), then only that one person sees it. So yeah, I don't have it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my conflict, too! Aaah. Hope you had a good weekend!

      Delete
  10. Congrats to Andrew! I will be starting an English PhD program in the fall as well, and it is so nerve-wracking waiting for those funding decisions. So glad he'll be funded, and I'll pray for a smooth transition for you guys.

    Also, congratulations on baby! So exciting. Also, I LOVE maternity jeans. If you find the right ones, they are so comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I waited this long to get a pair! I've been able to mostly get away with just leaving my regular pants unbuttoned, though..keeping it classy. Congratulations to you, too! Email me anytime if you want to talk about your program, and I'll be praying for you, as well =)

      Delete
  11. Congrats to Andrew on the scholarship! So happy for you guys. And the baby bump is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huge congratulations on the scholarships! I have a good friend who had her first baby when her husband was a grad student. They have three now, and we're hitting the town in a couple weeks to celebrate her husband's shiny new PhD! I know it took some creative budgeting, but it was all worth it in the end.

    I hope your pregnancy is going well. You look beautiful! And natural birth is totally do-able. I can really geek out on some Ina May or Bradley Method, so hit me up if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really has felt like the exact right time to have a baby, so we're praying that God will honor our listening to His call--it's so scary sometimes! I like knowing, though, that plenty of other families, like your friend's, do just fine.

      I just got the Bradley birth book and it seems really helpful so far! I'm not sure if I'm a believer in the like arts and crafts during naked labor thing that all the women seem to be doing in the pictures, but I really want to try to go all natural. I'll definitely email you if I think of questions!

      Delete
  13. You look great!!

    Books...have you read the Fatherless trilogy by Brian Gail? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I read the first two books in the series and somehow never got my hands on the last one; I didn't realize it had come out, but now I'll have to hunt it down =) Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  14. oh my goodness, how did I not know that you are pregnant?!? I am so happy for you and Andrew. You will be wonderful parents and oh my your babies will be gorrrgeous! You look amazing with your little baby bump and glow. Congratulations! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great news for Andrew! And cooking a baby looks adorable on you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy for both you and Andrew (though I'm going to miss you guys so much!).

    Love that bump - how are you 14 weeks already?!?! It seems like just yesterday you were waiting to find out!

    As to comments, I usually reply via email to people who have email enabled, but for those who don't, I will reply to a question in the comments (or if I need to clarify/expand on something).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice! If only more people included an email address...thanks for helping me figure things out!

      Delete
  17. Congrats on Andrew's scholarship/funding!!! Way a huge weight lifted! And God will be faithful to take care of all the rest. AND I am certain that you will be the most fashionable prego-Mama EVER - look at you and that sweet bump!!! SO excited for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so good! Thank you so much, Deme! xo

      Delete
  18. Holeton Engagement Ring
    This write up is nice. I’ll post in my blog and translate it in French.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...