Friday, March 29, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Volume 17

{story of a soul, condensed}

Visit Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

1. I hope you're having a fruitful Holy Week!  Andrew left for a conference on Wednesday.  Even though he was only gone for two days, and though we've been married for almost two years, I still feel like the newlywed who can't stand being apart!  You know what, though?  I've found that spending even a little more time by myself has really made me consider Jesus' solitude in the Garden on Holy Thursday and as he climbed the hill to Calvary the next day.  I watched The Passion by myself  and found myself better able to enter into the experience than when I've watched it with other people, even my husband.  There's definitely something missing in my life when Andrew's away, and though I know that in my life on earth, it's my husband who's not there, I think it's helping me, in whatever small way I'm able to absorb, to understand the ache of these next few days in the divine sense, too.

2. While we're on the subject of Holy Week, I'd love to know about your family and married traditions!  If you missed my post on ways to enter into the Triduum with your love, you can read it here.


3. Do you decorate eggs for Easter?  My family always had so much fun with it growing up, but after seeing so many cute craft projects out there, I think I'm ready to graduate from the old dipped-in-vinegar method!  I am completely in love with these gold leafed eggs and would love to turn out a batch to put out as decorations every year!

4. Sometimes I go on a rampage where in I write a bunch of blog posts in advance.  I like the feeling of not having to worry about deadlines, and having designated features makes it easy for me to plan ahead.  As I was brainstorming lately, I felt like I'd exhausted my list of books on marriage, sexuality, womanhood, and authentic love for my Lectio series.  I know this can't be the bottom of the barrel, though!  I love reading recommendations; do you have any for me?

5. Remember how I told you a few weeks ago that I was trying out the Oil Cleansing Method?  Some 12 days later, I'm happy to report that my rebellious skin looks noticeably calmer, if not perfect, and my hated acne scars are starting to fade the tiniest bit.  If you've heard of this method of washing your face and have been considering it, or even if you haven't, this article gave me a ton of confidence about how to go about it in the best way for my particular skin type (I learned a lot in the comments!).  The hardest things are being patient for results while understanding that no skincare regimen magically works overnight, and having to wash tons of washcloths that I've been using to wipe the oil off!

6. I cried buckets when I saw Les Mis in theaters a few months ago.  Since buying the movie when it came out last week, I've already watched it again twice, and was surprised to notice that in the context of Holy Week, the moments of despair, hope, redemption, and literally walking through hell felt that much more profound.  So, this is my way of humbly suggesting that if you want to enter in on this holiest of days, this movie is such a beautiful way to do it.

7. And lastly, a song for your Good Friday, one of my favorites for Lent.

I pray that you experience today's agony and Sunday's glory to the full. Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. We've been married almost 5 years now and I still hate it when Luke goes away. It gets easier, but I think no matter how long you've been married, you still can't stand to be apart:) It's hard to imagine, but hello hugs are even better when you haven't seen him in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are; it's just the waiting that's the hard part!! I hope you guys had a wonderful Easter!

      Delete
  2. I tried the oil cleansing method and unfortunately didn't have much luck :( I also haven't seen Les Mis yet - how crazy is that?

    I used to decorate eggs when I was a kid, but haven't done it in a long time - I'm thinking I might make it a family tradition once I have kids!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an awesome tradition to revive! So glad you found your blog, Ashley, so I could find yours! The blender post could've been taken word for word from my life =)

      Delete
  3. I love the gold leafed eggs! Such a fun center-piece.

    One book I really like (and am still in the process of reading) is Love Letters to My Husband by St. Gianna (for some reason I had trouble finding it on the cheap). Also, I've heard Life-Giving Love by Kimberly Hahn is good, but I haven't read it yet.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I love St. Gianna! From the title alone I feel like I need to read this; thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  4. Hi! So, I am a single lurker, but I have some recommendations for Lectio books on womanhood in particular. Engaged women, wives, mothers, and even engaged men and husbands (who may want insight into the female psyche!) will be able to draw from these books:

    - Blessed, Beautiful and Bodacious: Celebrating the Gift of Catholic Womanhood by Pat Gohn
    - Style, Sex, and Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things That Really Matter edited by Hallie Lord
    -Women, Sex and the Church: A Case for Catholic Teaching edited by Erika Bachiochi
    -The Authentic Catholic Woman by Genevieve Kineke.

    And if y'all are primed after your fantastic send-up of Men, Women, and the Mystery of Love:
    Love and Responsibility, the new translation. I know some people who know some people, and managed to read all of an early copy, and my head didn't even hurt! :0)

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That absolutely helps; thanks so much! I've been meaning to check out "Style, Sex, and Substance" for a while now and just haven't gotten around to it. I did hear about the new L+R translation, but since I've barely even cracked open the old one I have, I'm not sure I can justify getting the new one just yet! What a gift that you got to read it early; it's on my life's list, for sure!

      Delete
  5. I'll second the "Love and Responsibility" suggestion. Also, "Called to Love" by Carl Anderson and Fr. Jose Granados is excellent. A few others: "The Temperament God Gave You"/"The Temperament God Gave Your Spouse," "Married Saints and Blesseds Through the Centuries," "Life is a Blessing: A Biography of Jerome Lejeune" (written by his daughter, it expresses a lot about the family life of the man who discovered the cause of Down Syndrome ... his cause for canonization is underway), and "Project Everlasting." The last book is written by two bachelors who traveled the country interviewing couples who had been married for at least 40 years about what made their marriages "successful."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be obsessed with the Temperament book, but aside from L+R, I actually haven't heard of the others. Thanks so much for suggesting them!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...