Friday, March 15, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Volume 16

{story of a soul, condensed}

ever so studious
{1} Can I please brag about my husband for a minute?  Andrew got into the PhD program of his dreams this week!  Come summer, we'll be moving (closer to our families, thankfully) and starting a new adventure as he starts the road to becoming a Doctor of English Literature!  I've been beaming for four days.  So proud of my love.  The only thing, though, is that we can only go unless Andrew receives funding for his program, and right now, he hasn't received any scholarships and we'd have to pay for school entirely out of pocket.  If you get a chance, please, please say a prayer that things work out according to the Father's will!  We've been praying a lot to St. Jude.  Although, if I were being completely honest, I'd have to say that I really, really hope the Father's will is the same as our will...

{2} Have you seen this linkup over at Moxie Wife?  I'm always finding articles I love, inspiring design, pretty clothes, and dreamy photos that I wish I could share with everyone I know, so naturally, I love that Hallie's linkup invites us to share Five Favorites each week.  My only question is, do I need to participate in another linkup?  I love how many of you I've met through these Quick Takes and through What I Wore Sunday; I just want to be sure that my blog stays focused on its intended purpose (Catholic engagement and marriage are more of a niche than a general Catholic thing, I've realized, and I'm okay with that) and that I don't seem like I'm begging for extra visitors and comments.  In addition, I guess with all its specific wedding-related features, my blog is a little more rigidly structured than most.  I'm fine with that, too (I like it, in fact), but that also makes it hard to schedule extras like this one.  All that said, what do you think?  Do you ever get the same sense I do, that it's a little too easy to get linkup-happy but that they don't always foster a more genuine sense of community?  Do you even care what my favorite things are every week or two?  I love hearing what you have to say, so don't be afraid to be honest with me!


{3}  Remember when I swore off grains a few months ago?  That ended up not being the best thing for my body, personally, but I'm still trying to limit them.  We can't stop eating these yummy grain-free, two-ingredient pancakes


{4} Did you catch my post on dealing with a rough Lent on Ignitum Today this week? You can read it here.

{5} Speaking of posts, I try not to hammer you over the head with mine, imploring you to read this or that and talking about them all the time, but I just want to tell you how amazed I've been by your responses to last week's article on preparing for your wedding night.  Your honesty is such a gift to me!  Thank you so much!


{6} In addition to getting ready to move in a few months, I'm striking out in another way...washing my face with oil.  I know it sounds weird, but the underlying principle is that like dissolves like, so adding oil to your skin can actually balance it out, rather than stripping it like a lot of harsh cleansers can do.  It's also said to pull out all of the dirt and hardened oil that can hide out in your pores, which has to be better than my nightly Q-tip popping habit, right?  I'm a little nervous, honestly, but after doing a lot of research and ordering a few things, I'm ready to take the plunge this weekend!  Any oil cleansing ladies out there?


{7} Pope!


Have a great weekend!  Tell me what you're up to, and visit Conversion Diary for Quick Takes from other bloggers!


24 comments:

  1. I love both the link-ups of Hallie and Jennifer, but also I do a few other link-ups. I have to say that it does help me find some great bloggers. Plus, it helps me file through my though process when I am having the most difficult time trying to write something on my blog.

    Many prayers to you and your husband,
    Nikita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Thanks so much for your prayers!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to your husband! I'll will be praying for this intention. I'm really excited about our new Holy Father as well (I'm even doing a giveaway on my blog in honor of his election!). God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah! Off to check out your election post!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to Andrew! That is such exciting news, and I will be praying for you two! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! Have a wonderful weekend, Caitlin!

      Delete
  4. Yay for Andrew! So happy for him! I'll be praying that he gets some funding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you and Andrew!!!

    I know what you mean about all the link-ups.... I've had similar debates with myself over participating because I also don't want my blog to stray too far from its intended purpose - even though most people would say that reflections of a Catholic newlywed gives me the flexibility to write about anything I think or do. I simply don't want it to become too much about ME when a huge focus of my blogging has always been how my life experiences relate to my faith life & God, you know? Personally I think you could probably do the 5 Favorites and if you're worried about straying from your purpose, you could keep them 5 Faves that are wedding, engagement, or honeymoon related. :P However, I think you already do a pretty great job of highlighting such items without any need for a link-up! Hopefully my random thoughts are somewhat helpful, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely helpful; thanks! I can agree that there's a lot of flexibility about marriage and newlywed life, too, I'm just still trying to figure this one out. Have a good weekend, Steph!

      Delete
  6. Ah, skin. Such a bane of my existence right now. Nothing is working! Keep us updated on your experiment! I've been working with a dermatologist for months with no signs of improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl, I hear you. I stopped using Proactiv after about 9 years last April, and just a few months ago my skin finally stopped purging out everything all those chemicals had been suppressing for years. I've been left with a ton of scars, and all this has made me kind of obnoxiously vocal about my opinion that tons of artificial stuff and dermatologists aren't the best choice for everyone because they tend to just put you on all the heavy duty things like antibiotics and huge amounts of peroxide. So I've done a lot of reading about more natural solutions while trying not to get caught up in trying something new every week, but definitely no judgment,...I know what a pain this is!

      Delete
  7. I definitely know what you are saying about the link-up thing. I had stayed away for awhile because I wanted to keep my blog focused, but then I realized I was probably missing out a lot on the community aspect of the blog world and decided that it'd probably be good to mix in some link-ups throughout the month. I also felt that, although I try not to talk about myself that much, I also needed to let people know more about who I am on a more personal level. I'm trying to find that happy medium between my blog's mission and community!

    Congrat's to your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a tough balance to strike; you're right. It's nice to know someone else shares my feelings and I'm not crazy after all!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to your husband! What an accomplishment! I am ecstatic as a former English major. :) Hope you guys have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I didn't know you were an English major, too =) Hope you're having a wonderful weekend, too, Marisa!!

      Delete
  9. Ahhh so much to say!

    YAY for Andrew and you! I hope it all works out and I will add your intention to my prayers.

    Washing your face with oil is awesome and I use it to moisturize, too. I do use 2 separate oils. Which one do you use to wash?

    I am so trying out those pancakes this weekend. I had Steven buy 12 of the giant cans of pumpkin when they got discontinued so I am in pumpkin heaven lol.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers!! I'm using a little bit of castor oil mixed with sunflower--according to all of my obsessive reading, cold-pressed oils are less likely to make your skin freak out as it adjusts, so here's hoping! I've been using argan oil as a moisturizer since last summer, so I figure I'll keep using that along with it. I'd love to hear about your routine, too!

      Oh my goodness, 12 cans of pumpkin?? Lucky lady!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations, Andrew!! I'll be praying for both of you!
    I started washing with coconut oil last weekend. I liked it, but I haven't been too consistent during the week. Here's to a new start this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We can hang out more often if we get to come back! Knitting dates and things! I use coconut oil for cooking and a few other things, but am too scared to put it on my face--tell me how it goes!

      Delete
  11. I love number 7.
    Yay for you and Andrew! We'll definitely be praying for the money situation, I'm sure his overwhelming brilliance will result in a full ride, but prayers always help too.
    How important is coconut oil for cooking the pumpkin pancakes? I have several kinds of oil in the house, but no coconut.
    I'm about to start washing my face with apple cider vinegar and warm water--something about returning skin to its natural PH. Let us know if your oil experiment works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers!!

      I feel like you could probably use any oil for the pancakes, but if you ever decide to get some, coconut does add a nice little touch of sweetness, and you can use it for tons of other things, too. Good luck with the vinegar--I've heard similar things about balancing pH!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations to your husband! I have my MA in English Literature! How wonderful!

    And I feel like you do about link-ups. I feel like they are a great way to meet other Catholic women with the same values and sensibilities, and I never had followers until I joined them. However, I haven't been writing much other than linky contributions. I decided to limit them b/c I really need to get back to the purpose of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeannine! I always like finding fellow English majors out there =)

      Somehow you've managed to articulate my linkup feelings way better than I can! I agree with a more limited participation approach.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...