Sunday, February 24, 2013

What I Wore Sunday, Volume 14

How's your first full week of Lent been?  Andrew and I were on vacation from Ash Wednesday to the first Saturday of Lent, and honestly, when you're constantly eating out and on the go, it's much harder to keep prayer and fasting in mind.  It made for the start of Lent not feeling particularly like Lent to me. Now that we're home, we've both been able to act on our promises to help each other by doing the other's "usual" chores that are unenjoyable for us.  I hate washing the dishes, whereas my husband doesn't mind and literally does them every night.  He's lucky to wake up for work later than me most days; for Lent, though, he's getting up with me and helping me make breakfast and get out the door, which is a big sacrifice for him.

What we've found, though, is how hard it is to accept another person's help sometimes.  I'm looking forward to learning to truly let my husband serve me, and vice versa, in the coming weeks.  We can both be so stubborn sometimes about letting the other person do something nice when we could just as easily do it ourselves and don't want to inconvenience one another, but I'm hoping to truly see these as acts of love.  Isn't it so similar in prayer sometimes?  I occasionally feel like I don't need to bring certain things to the Father because they don't seem important enough, or because I think I already know the answer to a certain problem and just need to get around to putting it in action.  In reality, though, I totally need to remember that nothing is too small for him, and that true humility is letting His guidance, not mine, direct me.

Outfit-wise, we got a little peek of sunshine and springy enough temps today that I ditched my tights and jacket.  This was my college graduation dress a few years ago, and though I used to only wear it in warmer months, I've also discovered this winter how much I like the mint shade with gray or black tights.  So now I have a four-season dress!

Dress, J. Crew.  Cardigan, Gap.  Scarf, Lilly Pulitzer (thrifted).  Belt, old and stolen from my mom.  Flats, Land's End.


Before you go, two more things:

1. Mary so nicely nominated me for a Liebster Award this week, and I'm passing it on to a few of you! See what it's all about here.
2. Of course, many thanks to the ladies at Fine Linen and Purple for this weekly outfit roundup!  There's plenty more Sunday fashion inspiration here.

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!


38 comments:

  1. Great Lenten reflection. :)I absolutely love all these colors together! Yay for 4-season dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful, fresh colors in that scarf and dress! Really lovely, Stephanie. You are making me see my closet in a different light.

    And to this: "I totally need to remember that nothing is too small for him, and that true humility is letting His guidance, not mine, direct me," I can only say amen and AMEN! I keep forgetting this. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this helped you! I need to remind myself, too!

      Delete
  3. Stephanie, thank you for participating; I enjoyed reading your facts and answers! Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great colors! I love that bright blue and pink. And yes, nothing is too small for God. I always have to remind myself of that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I KNEW I would nominate at least one lady who'd already been nominated! You are definitely deserving. What a fun thrift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm almost positive that I have that same dress in pink! It looks so pretty with the cardi and scarf. And thanks for the nomination!

    It's so funny because my Lenten resolutions are similar to yours in that I'm trying to serve my husband more. I've had this "thing" about women serving their husbands, but the longer that we are married, the more I realize that it is part of my vocation to serve him (and vice versa too, but he is already pretty good at it...) Thanks for the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, you are definitely my style soulmate...I have that dress in pink, too! What are the odds. I know what you mean with feeling like your husband is already so good at serving you! I'll say a prayer for the both of us =)

      Delete
  7. Wow, we have a huge snowstorm here, so it's so funny to see you wearing such springy clothes!

    Cute, cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it's supposed to snow again here this week, too...crazy mountain weather. I figured I had to take advantage of temporary springtime while I could!

      Delete
  8. Yep, love the combination of coulours, I can see a little bit of spring shining through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Nothing green yet, but it definitely felt springy!

      Delete
  9. what a great color combo...good reflections on Lent too; we can all use those reminders ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful reflection! I'm not married, but it gave me food for thought on how I can be a better roommate to my sister. Thank you! And you look beautiful, too! I'm a fan of the color combination and love how the belt pulls it all together. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that this can apply to roommates, as well--thanks for the insight, Sarah! And that belt is older than I am...

      Delete
  11. You look adorable, as always.
    I enjoyed your reflection. In fact, I was just telling one of my daughters the other day about letting someone else help, especially gentlemen. It's such an important part of respecting eachother's dignity to help, and accept help. I love how you connected it to prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of this in light of letting a man be a gentleman; that's so great!

      Delete
  12. Such bright,pretty colors! You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your reflection! I was just thinking that today when I was about to step in and take over something that was normally "my job" that Chris was doing. Then I realized, "Hey! Stop ruining the romance! Let him serve you like you want to serve him! Haha :) you put it so much more eloquently. I love that marriage calls us to serve every single day.

    And I love your outfit! Sooo adorable. Belts over cardigans are one of my favorite looks. And those flats! I have been searching for some neutral ones...maybe they are it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So with you on the letting yourself be served!

      Those shoes are a couple years old, but I do think they offer similar styles every year! Mine have gotten a little scuffed, but they've become so soft and have come to fit my feet perfectly--definitely worth it =)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I feel like I'm always saying the same thing to you! Thank you!

      Delete
  15. Oh, how I envy your colors and your bare ground. You look lovely, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the bare ground was not to last...thanks for stopping by =)

      Delete
  16. I love a good scarf, plus the belted cardi always works well to bring a warm-month dress out in the cooler part of the year. The color combo you're rocking is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are all just my wishful Spring thinking coming out...thanks so much, Shannon!

      Delete
  17. I so agree. It's hard when you both so independent minded to allow the other to serve. What a wonderful way to spend Lent.

    Love the scarf and dresses that can be worn year round. Those are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love your outfit. The scarf. The dress. The shoes. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...