Monday, February 18, 2013

Thirsting.


Happy (Happy?  Yes; I'll go with happy) first full week of Lent!  Until Easter, I've decided to take on my least favorite chore, washing the dishes, every day (I am completely spoiled having a husband who doesn't mind doing them almost every night).  Maybe even Sundays, to give Andrew a break...

For the past few weeks, walking through the desert, like Christ during these 40 days, has been on my mind a lot.  One of my closest friends has been going through a tough, tough breakup, and there's such a cry in her heart to find the One.  The weekend she ended things with her boyfriend, the Gospel reading at Mass was the wedding feast at Cana, and (I'm momentarily diverging from the desert thing) I couldn't get this image out of my head of empty vessels that Jesus needs to fill.  

It struck me that when someone experiences a longing so deep for romance and authentic love, her heart is like a well.  For whatever reason and in His time, the Lord constantly digs the well deeper and deeper.  At the time, it makes you feel the ache even more, but only because He's going to fill it even more.  You can't fill something that doesn't have enough room for what it's supposed to hold, you know?

Waiting for love can feel like such a desert experience.  You wander.  You thirst.  Believe me; I've been there too, and I've known the depth of that hurt.  Know this, though: Christ didn't just stay in the desert.  He emerged, and even in the face of death, He poured Himself out in a gift of purest love.  None of it goes unredeemed.  My prayer for you, and for me, this Lent, is that the most burning desires of our hearts are deepened, even if it's painful, if only for the Lord to flood our emptiness.  Amen.

6 comments:

  1. I had to smile when I read this post because Stephen does the dishes almost every day too! And I hate doing them. Now I feel like I should make this part of my Lent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are just what I needed today. Thank you. xDana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much, Dana! Humbled. I'll say a prayer for you!

      Delete
  3. I loved every bit of this. I can definitely relate with your friend b/c I went thru a horrible break-up with an ex-boyfriend before meeting my husband. I remember feeling so broken and confused, but it took me going on a pilgrimage to do some soul searching and quiet time to finally be open to receiving consolation from the Lord. I hope she finds it too and that her Lent will be fruitful and that He will reveal His plan when it's time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm, it really can be so hard. Thanks for this, Jiza!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...