Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Spirit Rejoices: Fly Me To the Moon and Arise, My Love

{sweet sounds for your Mass and reception}


While I was planning my wedding, my friend Jess was always warning me about the people she dubbed "The You Should-as."  You know, the people that seem to have an opinion about everything surrounding your engagement, your Mass and reception, and your future.  I thought the whole thing was kind of funny, and actually didn't receive too much unsolicited advice, but against my better judgment and my loyalty to Jess, I have a "you should-a" to offer you today.

It comes from my DJ, Jack.  Part of the paperwork with him involved listing what songs we wanted for certain milestones throughout the evening.  Some were obvious events, of course, like the first dance and cake cutting, but one I hadn't considered much before then was the second dance.  The way I saw it, the second dance should draw everyone onto the dance floor after our first dance (at his suggestion, as well, we moved our first dance from after the wedding party entrance, which is more typical, to after dinner, which felt much less rushed and made things flow better--I recommend it!), so naturally, I wanted something catchy and fast.  I picked Sean Kingston's "Fire Burning" (you know; "Somebody call 911!").  Instead, Jack nicely suggested something a little quieter and older, reasoning that everyone loves a slow dance, especially after a romantic first dance shared by the bride and groom, and that in his experience, almost every couple would happily join in.  He also told me he preferred to start the night with more oldies and classics, and then move towards newer, top-40 type selections as the evening progressed.  It worked perfectly.

That brings me to today's song suggestion.  If you decide to go this route of a slower, universally appealing second dance, I feel like there's hardly a better choice out there than good ol' Frank Sinatra (incidentally, we chose Elvis' "Can't Help Falling In Love," but still).  Fly Me To the Moon is so old-school classy, and interestingly (I'm such a nerd), my friend brought this song up in a Philosophy class on love and friendship one time.  One line of the song is,

You are all I long for
All I worship and adore.

This kind of love, he pointed out, speaks the language of the Divine.  If married love is meant to image the Father's love, this is a beautiful reminder, even if Frank didn't intend it that way.  You can listen to the song here, and here's another, acoustic version I just, well, adore.

Remember Stephanie?  She has a beautiful new blog about newlywed life, and she and her husband Michael are expecting!  A few weeks ago when I wrote about the Song of Songs, Steph introduced me to a few amazing hymns taken from the Scripture verses.  Arise, My Love is an amazing expression of love's search and fulfillment from the Scripture, with singing parts for a man, woman, and choir.  I love to think that the different parts mirror the actual text of the Song of Songs in such an obvious, beautiful way to make real the sentiments of the bride and bridegroom during a wedding Mass.   You can listen to it here!

What do you think?  Any opinions on how to get all of your guests dancing?  Are there any other new-to-you worship songs you've stumbled across recently?  I'd love to know!



P.S.  Do you have your Valentines Day planned out yet?  Click here to read my guest post on Stethoscopes, Style, & Grace for three sweet date ideas, with outfits to match, and stay for a while to admire Erika's super classy style!

2 comments:

  1. LOL I admit it... I was a total Nazi about the music. I pretty much listed the entire schedule for the DJ - both music and events. Luckily he is a friend of ours. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough to trust that someone will play what you like and think is appropriate! Our DJ emphasized that our "do not play" list was more important than the "must-play" one, so that he'd have a clear idea of what we didn't like, but so he'd still have the freedom to adapt to the crowd on the dance floor and the time in the evening.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...