Friday, February 22, 2013

Love Notes: Your First Dance

{small ways to show great love}

Photo Source
On a night in August almost three summers ago, my brand spanking new fiance and I went to the movies to see Despicable Me.  Afterwards, we took pictures in a photo booth (an item I could hence cross off my bucket list) and drove home to my parents' house on starry back roads.  Somewhat impulsively, we stopped in the Adoration chapel at my church on the way.

As we got ready to leave, I started the car and rolled down the windows.  Instead of getting in, Andrew held out his hand and asked me to dance.  I sang along to the music in the CD player, and just like that, we had our wedding song.

Maybe you've had a song since the beginning, or maybe not, but regardless, choosing your first dance can be tricky business.  Personally, we wanted a song that was romantic but not cheesy, and original but not too obscure.  Maybe it's our English major roots, but lyrics were important to us, too.  So many choices, but I feel lucky that we sort of stumbled into ours, thanks to our sweet dance in the parking lot.

So, how to go about picking out the perfect soundtrack for your first dance?  Do you have a memory like mine, where a song that was just ordinary somehow became special because of a singalong, an inside joke, or a trip or visit from a particular time?  Is there a tune you could play as a nod to one of your parents or grandparents' favorites (unfortunately, my parents' wedding was at the height of 80s power balladry, but maybe this will work for someone else...)?  Are there any songs you've just always loved and found romantic?  I thought, for a while, that wedding songs should already mean something to the couple, but as I've thought about it for this post, I think I've changed my mind a little more to the idea that any love song will take on meaning when you choose it for such a significant moment.  Thoughts, anyone?

Click on the "Music" tag on the sidebar to see a few first dance, and other dance, songs I've recommended for your reception; maybe you'll find a new favorite!

In the meantime, the nosy girl in me is dying to know about your first dance!  Do you have a song picked out yet?  How did you choose yours?  I love hearing your stories!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love it, too; I wish I could've found the actual source instead of just the Pinterest one! Esther, I am so, so glad you found my blog so I could find yours! You are gorgeous and so stylish!

      Delete
    2. Awww... It always feels good to find Catholics online :) Thanks for the kind words.

      Fashion for Beauty

      Delete
  2. We danced to "Con Te Partiro." :) We had a pretty traditional Italian Catholic wedding, and my husband (who isn't Italian) heard that song years before, at the beginning of our relationship. We just knew it was the right one for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I used to tell all my friends that I dreamed of marrying an Italian because of all the cultural traditions, the big Catholic families, and the constant eating. I didn't get one, but I absolutely hit the jackpot with my Arabic husband--his family is, for better and for weirder (but mostly better), exactly like the one in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding!"

      Delete
    2. HA! I often muse to my hubby that I wishwishwish I was Italian. They have some of the best of everything, it seems. Certainly some of "the best" Saints ;-) You're right though, every culture has something so terrifically delightful.

      Delete
  3. That was a heart-tugging little story. Thank you for sharing!

    I would choose our song differently if I could. I am going to listen to your suggestions...

    Is that photo you two? It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not us; I just added in the lyrics. I love it, too!

      Delete
  4. Awww, sweet story!! My hubby and I picked a Sinatra song (I've got you under my sing) cause once when we were swing dancing we danced to it in the rain.
    love that picture too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story behind the song!! Thanks for sharing, Patty!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love your story!

    My husband and I love to waltz together, so we had our band play Star of the County Down for us. It had always been a favorite tune of mine. (Here is an online version, apparently there is also a reel with the same name, so most of the youtube hits are not the right one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXtOPaSn9M )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a side note, our most meaningful wedding song choice was for the closing song of our ceremony: O God Beyond All Praising.

      One of our priests had actually just been ordained a few months before our wedding, and this was the closing song for their ceremony, and my husband and I just couldn't think of any song that would be better, so we definitely copied the priests! Ironically, we found out after our wedding that the tune of the song, Thaxted, comes from Gustav Holst's The Planets - Jupiter, which is pretty fitting since I am a space scientist and my husband is an astronomer(:

      But seriously, I would highly recommend this song to anyone in need of the best and most powerful wedding closing song!

      Delete
    2. I love that you had a waltz for your first dance! I went to a wedding once where the bride and groom did something similar, but my husband and I weren't nearly coordinated enough =) We used O God Beyond All Praising for the closing song, too! I had no idea about the Holst connection, and that's so neat and so special for the two of you!

      Delete
    3. I was just thinking today about how romantic waltzes are :-) Nice choice!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, that is too too sweet! I agree... definitely some heart tuggin' with that story. Mark and I actually did a swing dance to "Accidentally In Love" by the Counting Crows. We're a bit on the goofy side. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the goofiness! We entered our ceremony to "The Muppets" theme... just because it's silly X-D

      Delete
  7. Our wedding song was Jason Mraz's "Lucky". It was pretty mainstream, but it's fun to still occasionally hear it on the radio. It was meaningful to us because it kind of became our anthem while I was overseas on a month-long trip and he was missing me x 1mil. I like that it features both male and female vocals. Bonus: it's relatively short, so our guests could get on the dancefloor a.s.a.p.!

    I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Go check it out here: http://animakinsi.blogspot.com/2013/02/liebster-fever.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Lucky" is such a sweet song! I never thought about how a duet can be so nice for a wedding song!

      Delete
  8. That's a very beautiful picture and quotes, I simply love it.
    I also list down some good and romantic wedding songs, you may want to check out as well.

    Cheers xxxx
    http://meowchie.snydle.com/wedding-songs.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...