Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lectio: the Song Of Songs

{recommended reading}



I've sprinkled little mentions of the Song of Songs throughout this blog before, but I think it's about time it got its own billing, don't you?  I have to tell you; I didn't even know what this book of Scripture was until my senior year of high school, when I went on a youth group trip to see Matt Maher and heard the song "Set Me As A Seal" for the first time.  Prior to then, I'd only known vaguely that Song of Solomon was a famous novel with a character named First Corinthians.  For real, ya'll.  

Anyway, I was captivated by Matt's description of the Song of Songs as the greatest love poem ever written and as the purest, most romantic expression of love.  My seventeen-year-old, never-had-a-boyfriend self was floored by the beauty of the duet, and I read the entire book when I got home that night.  Even now, the Song of Songs gives such a truthful voice to the longings I felt, in a more perfect way than I could ever write myself.  I have found him now, my sweet husband and the one whom my soul loves, the one who so clearly shows to me the Father's love, and if you're engaged or married, you've found him too, right?  With all the fantastic books out there on Christian dating, authentic love, and marriage prep, I forget sometimes that going straight to Scripture, rather than a secondary source, is so important.  Reading this together, taking time to soak in the lovers' longing and its fulfillment, considering the nuptial union of Christ and the Church, and savoring its beautiful language sounds to me like a wonderfully spiritual reading choice as you prepare for marriage.  

You can read a few of my other thoughts on the Song of Songs, on prudishness, Theology of the Body, and Set Me As A Seal here, here, and here!

What's your take?  I feel like these amazing words have special meaning for almost everyone, and I'd love to hear their significance for you!





12 comments:

  1. I love it. It's truly beautiful and I totally am with you about Scripture! I've learned more about it in recent months in school, delving into scripture with an emphasis on marriage and family and it's amazing how nuptial language and imagery is present throughout Scripture. My favorite part of Song of Songs is when he calls her "My sister, by bride". Tobias also calls Sara his sister in his wedding prayer. SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True story! I'd love to know what you're reading! I love "my sister," too--Tobias' prayer was the first reading at my wedding. I wrote about it here:

      http://captivetheheart.blogspot.com/2012/09/ora-pro-nobis-thank-you-to-st-raphael.html

      Delete
  2. We have "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" engraved on my husband's wedding ring. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun fact!!! The director of Notre Dame's folk choir, Steve Warner, composed a church hymn using this verse. The song is entitled "Arise, My Love" and can be found at the WLP website and directly here: http://www.mycatholicvoice.com/media/EU41E8 We used it as the entrance hymn the bridal party and I walked down the aisle to. :) Love, love, love!

    We also used Steve Warner's "Psalm 40" as our wedding responsorial psalm and "Make of Our Hands a Throne" for communion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds absolutely amazing! Off to go listen now =)

      Delete
  4. I seriously love Matt's song! I loved Song of Songs before I even knew about "Set Me As A Seal" but once I heard Matt's song I was hooked, the duet is just so darn beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love Matt Maher, and "Set Me As A Seal" is such a beautiful song! Stephen and I used part of the Song of Songs as the first reading at our wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I once read that reading at a friends wedding, and I was such a mess--halfway between laughing and crying the whole time!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your comment Stephanie! I look forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...