Monday, December 31, 2012

Why Not?


Happy New Year's Eve!  I've never been hugely disciplined when it comes to resolutions (my phlegmatic temperament tends to make me way too, well, lazy for them), but I do love the idea of a fresh start.  I usually try to go to confession close to New Year's, to get a nice good soul cleaning, and try to recommit myself to my spiritual life and to wellness after a season of holiday indulgence.  This year, I'm setting out to pray the Rosary daily, which currently happens just a few times a week and sometimes gets cut short by my falling asleep, to write more letters, and, at least for the month of January, to go grain-free.  What about you?

In the spirit of midwinter renewal, I'd humbly like to start offering you creative, fulfilling additions to your wedding day.  Diana Vreeland was an insanely eclectic, opinionated old bird who made a name for herself in the fashion world, through magazines like Harper's Bazaar and Vogue and handpicked exhibits at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  She made it a trademark to write articles starting with "Why don't you..." that end in things like "turn your fur coat into a bathrobe?" and "give a diamond bracelet as a gift to the wife of your favorite bandleader?"  Obviously, none of us here can actually roll that way, but it's a nice idea, no?  Inspired, I think I'll start posting a "Why don't you..." every few weeks!


Tell me: what's the funniest, most original, or most spiritual aspect of your wedding day that you can't wait for?


4 comments:

  1. My husband and I wrote prayers to say to Our Lady and St. Joseph during the Mass...but forgot to bring our little papers with us! I was kneeling in front of the statue of the Blessed Virgin praying "Mary, everything that's on that paper, that I can't remember right now, I pray THAT!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious. I'm sure she still heard you =) I love that you wrote down your prayers!

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea!

    I am really looking forward to uniting with ALL of our loved ones in Mass at the same place that day. That probably won't happen again!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like! You're right; aside from big life events, it's so rare that nearly all your family and friends are all in one place, isn't it? Enjoy it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...