Monday, December 10, 2012

Rite Resources: 100 Layer Cake Marketplace

If you're anything like me, you spend a good amount of time admiring pretty wedding details on Pinterest and wedding blogs, but do you ever feel like they're mostly...out of your league?  Getting married is not cheap, for sure, and though I tied the knot before Pinterest came along (I wish), it was easy to feel inadequate sometimes, like my wedding items would never be as fancy, as coordinated, or as creative as the ones filling all of my magazine pages.


How to combat this comparison syndrome?  The best thing, I found, was to just remove all of the bridal mags and websites from my life for periods of time.  I'd tell myself, "Okay, not more wedding stuff for the rest of the day," or "for the rest of the week," and it really did help.  If I wasn't constantly looking at all those covet-able things, I usually coveted them less.  I tried, too, to pray for humility, and to be as spiritually prepared, not materially prepared, to enter into marriage as possible.  I'd love to hear how you've dealt with these feelings, too!

That said, if there's actually a more economical way to acquire decorations, accessories, and all the rest, and if you're trying to maintain a spirit of detachment, I see nothing wrong with going for it.  I was so excited to find the Marketplace at 100 Layer Cake, a site dedicated to "inspiration for life's parties."  Think of the Marketplace as a gorgeous, wedding-planning combo of Etsy and Craigslist!  Brides and vendors can buy and sell items from dresses to dinner plates, cards to cake toppers, and you can even post classified-style ads for items or vendors you're on the lookout for.  I think it's a great way to make your wedding a little greener by repurposing other brides' (new or barely used) items, and to foster community.  Look at all the prettiness out there!



What do you think of secondhand wedding goodies?  And, share your thoughts on finding things you love for less!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...