Friday, November 16, 2012

7 Quick Takes, Volume 8


{story of a soul, condensed}



{1} I mentioned on Sunday that after last weekend's wedding, all of my close friends are married now!  It's crazy to me how during college, my girlfriends and I used to spend hours wondering about our future husbands and what our lives would be like, and now it's all become such a reality.  Suffice it to say, real life so far has been more blessedly wonderful than any of us never even knew.  In Sunday's post, I asked you for a few reunion traditions my friends and I can start, and I'll ask again here: how do you celebrate with your friends when you're living far apart and when you're in between major life events?

{2} On impulse, I bought a few turnips and rutabagas this week because they were on sale.  I love the whole root vegetable family, but I struggle sometimes to get more creative than just roasting them in the oven.  I did find this roasted veggie minestrone and this scalloped rutabaga...any other recipe ideas?

{3} I am so, so proud of my husband!  In the past two weeks, Andrew has been accepted to present papers at two conferences, which I'm just discovering is a big deal in the literary world!  One is in Washington, D.C., which is close to home for both of us, and the other is in Albuquerque, New Mexico!  Sadly, I'm sure it can't always be like this, but this time, at least, I'm going along to Albuquerque and we're going to make a little vacation out of it!  The fact that the conference falls during Valentine's Day makes it even better, in my opinion.  New Mexico, with all of its Spanish and Native American culture and pretty landscape, is somewhere I've always dreamsed of visiting, so I'm so excited!  Now, tell me:  what things should I put on my must-do list?  Are any of you from the area?  Have you visited?  I'd love to hear your recommendations!

{4} On the subject of Andrew's academic life, we'd so appreciate your prayers when it comes to the next step for us.  He's been feeling such a pull lately towards an amazing Ph.D. program that would put us halfway across the country, which is no small change.  We've been trying to discern how that would mesh with having a family soon and with living so far away from our family and friends for the next six or seven years.  Thank you so, so much!

{5} I've just stumbled across the sweetest set of love stories.  My Better Half is a series by Amanda Jane Jones that features portraits of cute couples, along with hand-drawn images and quirky facts about each of them ("Loves the city, craves the earth," "Spent a year of his young life demanding to wear a cape").  Aren't they adorable?

{6} This letter, written by a 16-year-old young man to his future wife, brought me to tears.  At my desk.  At work.  I'm floored by his loving affirmation, his wisdom, and unfailing hope, and I'm certain he's not the only one.  There really are so many good men out there, even at a young age, prepared to give everything for their brides.  Read it and be amazed.  The letter is a contest winner among several other Theology of the Body-themed essays--when you're done, I highly recommend reading the rest of the winners'!

{7} I've written about my Mat Kearney obssession before.  Lately, I can't stop listening to this song, Hawthorne.  I love how fragile his voice sounds in this acoustic rendering, as well as the lyrics.  "The Jesus of prostitutes," he sings, "is chasing my soul."  It might sound provocative, but I think it points to Jesus' loving, healing mercy so clearly.  How deeply, completely loved we are.

Enjoy your weekend, and be sure to visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!



9 comments:

  1. I love that picture! You all look great! I will be praying for Andrew and you as you decide what to do with his academics! And that's awesome he'll have the opportunity to present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily! Thank you so much for your prayers!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing that letter, Stephanie! Can't wait to read the other essays, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it incredible?! Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you like the other ones, as well!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing that letter, Stephanie. Beautiful! Can't wait to read the other essays, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally praying for you and Andrew and your discernment! And New Mexico! If you can make your way to Santa Fe, I TOTALLY recommend the Loretto Chapel (with miraculous staircase), the Cathedral there, and the Cross of the Martyrs (it is best at sunset, it overlooks Santa Fe and is awesome!). I know you are going to Albuquereue, but Santa Fe is pretty awesome if you get the chance =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm dying now...all of your Santa Fe suggestions sound amazing! I love looking for Church-related sites when I travel! I'm not sure we'll get out of Albuquerque this time, but hey, it's just another excuse to go back sometime, right?

      Delete
  5. We're so honored to be on you blog! I read it regularly :-) A friend of mine's parents and their college buddies used to host fancy dinners for each other every 3 months, each couple hosting about once a year---it's a guaranteed (inexpensive) date night and a great way to keep in touch with people geographically distant. Jonathan and I would love to start this tradition...keep an eye out for an invitation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please, it was an honor to be at your wedding!! I LOVE the dinner party idea! Now we all just have to decide who'd be willing to trek out to Appalachia if we were to host...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...