Monday, October 8, 2012

New Love, 3 Years Later

Natalie Franke Photography

Last week, I told you the story of how Andrew and I started dating.  Today marks three years since our first date!  I was reading my memory of it in my journal, and I thought I'd share some of the details with you!

This day, Andrew sat in on my English class (he'd graduated by then, but was our professor's favorite student.  He debates this.  I refuse.).  He leaned over my Washington Square book with me, each of our hands holding one side of the cover open. It made me shy all of a sudden.  After, we sat next to a volleyball court and talked.  He flicked a bug off of my shoulder.  When Andrew brought me flowers that evening, I overfilled the vase because I was looking at him instead of paying attention to the faucet.    He was wearing a black buttondown and an extraordinary smile, so how could I not?  "Would you mind terribly if I held your hand?" he asked, on our car ride, quiet in a way that was magical and not completely awkward.  We ordered the same thing to eat at dinner and stayed at the table until we realized we'd occupied it for two and a half hours, but didn't want to say goodnight yet.  So, we drove to Andrew's parents' house.  His sisters had made peanut butter cookies and his dad had coffee from Latin America.  We all played Scattegories and watched Jim and Pam get married on The Office.  I left my leftovers in the fridge after we left to take me back to school, and he led me by the hand back inside to get them.  I locked my car door (my husband never locks the doors), and when Andrew came around to open it, he couldn't from the outside.  "You make it hard to be a gentleman," he told me.  He walked me to my apartment, gave me a perfectly-pressured hug, and I tried to go about my normal bedtime routine.  Between the coffee and this sweet boy, it wasn't easy.  I lay in bed and tried to get a whole rosary-while-laying-down finished for once.  Then I fell asleep anyway.

It's funny. All things considered, we haven't been together all that long.  I mean, my friends Becca and Clint dated for three years before getting married this summer.  Andrew got down on one knee just eight months after those first wondrous hours at Olive Garden.  Still, the days of things like nighttime rosary walks around campus and sitting side by side in the library with Andrew reading next to me while I did homework seem like a whole separate world to me now.  Our love is still so young, I guess, but I honestly feel like it's been a lifetime.  Like, I can't remember a time when I didn't know him and didn't love him.  Pure Gift.  Thank you, Father.  Let me spend my life becoming more and more worthy of this man.  Andrew, here's to us.


6 comments:

  1. So sweet!!! Loved this, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I just read your story on Annabelle's blog and I loved it!

      Delete
  2. It does seem like a lifetime, doesn't it? Our marriage 'lifetime' is about to hit 5 years, so crazy!
    As for you guys, the sweetness just abounds...makes me smile inside and out! And I admit, I have a weakness for The Office (I may or may not be staring right now at the Dundee Award my husband got for me), so to have Jim and Pam grace it with their 'vows,' simply perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Dundee...love it! We were talking the other day about how the major awkwardness of that wedding episode somehow made things easier between us, not weirder, which I guess just goes to show how it was meant to be! Happy early Anniversary!!

      Delete
  3. A beautiful tribute to three years together - may your love deepen and grow for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...