Friday, October 26, 2012

Love Notes: Bracelet Buddies

{small ways to show great love}

In high school, I watched a lot of Friends.  There's an episode where Joey gets his big break on the soap opera Days of Our Lives and wants to pay Chandler back for money Chandler lent to him, in the form of a hideous gold bracelet.  He gets one for himself, too!  Not wanting to hurt Joey's feelings, Chandler feels forced to constantly wear his bracelet, in spite of everyone's teasing, and worries that they're doomed to be "bracelet buddies" forever.

Do you remember?  Regardless, I think that matching accessories, religious jewelry in particular, can actually be really sweet.  This is not the same thing as, say, matching chastity rings, which I never got on board with (feel free to debate me on this).  Not long after we started dating, Andrew lost a Miraculous Medal he'd gotten on a mission trip that was so special to him.  He told me that he felt funny and a little vulnerable not wearing any religious articles after having his medal for so long. For our six month anniversary, I wanted to surprise him with something new.  I picked out a simple wood rosary bracelet for him, and at the last minue, I added an extra one to my shopping cart that I could wear, too.  I loved the idea that we could be united in prayer in such a tangible way, especially during our long-distance engagement. Two and half years later, we still wear them!  Andrew's had to be restrung, and a baby once threw mine on the floor of a restaurant and I almost forgot it, but it makes me so happy knowing that we have a little piece of our early relationship to keep with us and seeing the beads get as worn and shiny as they've become.

A bracelet, a medal, a rosary...take your pick!  Wearing or carrying the same religious articles can be such a great visual, prayerful reminder of what you two share.  And, if you can, I think it's beautiful to have them blessed together!  Here are a few of my picks:

1. Keychain  2. Tau Cross  3. Scapular  4. Miraculous Medal  5. Ecce Homo Medal  6. St. Michael Medal  7. Rosary Bracelet  8. Marian Consecration Chain (similar)
Which one's your favorite?  And, I'm dying to know: do you and your fiance share anything like this?  How do you unite your spiritual lives?


6 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not so engaged anymore, but my husband and I both keep Tau Crosses in our cars. And when we were separated for a year (because of a military deployment) we both carried a medal in our pocket. Every time we would reach into our pocket and feel the medal, we would say a quick prayer for the other. It helped us stay very close spiritually even though we were physically half a world apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, that's beautiful! I can't imagine being separated by such a huge distance and by the military, but it sounds like your prayers for each other definitely strengthened you and kept you both safe =)

      Delete
  2. Love this, Steph! We never had matching things, but traded religious articles back and forth. I got him a Miraculous Medal when his broke and he sent me a medal he received for his first Communion. We sent a St. Raphael holy card back and forth in our letters during our "long-distance summers". It definitely keeps you grounded. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that about you; that's so special! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is a great idea. I am recently engaged and finishing up grad school in Europe for grad school, while my fiance is back home in the States. I'm going on pilgrimage to Paris and Lisieux this week and I will have to be on the lookout for something that we can share like this. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! That's quite a distance to be engaged, and I'd love to hear your story sometime! I am totally jealous of your pilgrimages, and I pray that they're filled with grace =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...