Friday, October 19, 2012

7 Quick Takes, Volume 6


{story of a soul, condensed}

Seven pieces of my life, as of the last two weeks.  Visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary for more quick takes from her and other Catholic bloggers!


Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, Mount St. Mary's University, Catholic university, catholic chapel, Mount, Catholic wedding, Catholic wedding blog, Catholic wedding planning, Catholic bride, Catholic marriage prep
via Instagram

{1} Words can't express how happy I am to tell you that Beth, one of my best friends, gets to marry Nick, the love of her life, tomorrow afternoon!  Their love has been such a long time coming, they have a cozy new house, Nick is so sweet and treats Beth like a princess, and I couldn't be more excited.  Join me in praying to Saints Rita and Jude for blessings upon their life together, and for two special ladies who can't be at the wedding--Beth's little sister Joan, who's a cloistered nun, and Nick's grandma, who's in the hospital (they're going to surprise Grandma with a visit, in their wedding clothes, after the reception--shhh!).  Above is the chapel on our college campus where they're getting married.  It's one of my favorite places on this earth; nothing can touch me there.  Also, I get to be a bridesmaid for the first time!  Do you have any advice for me?

{2} Speaking of weddings, I'd love your advice on something else.  My friend Bob, who's incredibly dear to me, is also getting married soon, to a gorgeous, holy California girl named Jenny.  They dated long distance for quite a while and were always sending each other cute-but-weird gifts like remote-control airplanes, homemade granola, and pencils with jokes written on them.  Bob proposed by hiding Jenny's ring in a box of pancake mix!  So, you can see why not just any wedding present will do.  We share a love of fish tacos, philosophy, brussels sprouts, reggae, and spending as little money as possible (we have an ongoing competition in cheapness.  He's probably winning).  The thing is, none of those shared interests exactly lend themselves to gifts, at least not any that I can think of.  I'd love to know: what are some of the quirkiest, most useful, most personal, or nicely funniest wedding gifts you've seen or received?  Boy, I hope he's not reading this...

Christmas, sweaters, ugly sweaters, ugly Christmas sweaters, secondhand sweaters, cardinals, nordic sweater, Catholic wedding, Catholic wedding blog, Catholic wedding planning, Catholic bride, Catholic marriage prep
via Instagram
{3} Behold.  A few months ago, inspired by some old, huge, Nordic-looking ski sweaters of my parents', Andrew and I decided that we will go to at least one fancy Christmas party wearing the ugliest sweaters we can find.  We don't want to call attention to them; we're just going to act like they're normal sweaters.  Or at least we'll try to!  Anyway, look what Andrew found at Goodwill this week!  Aren't the cardinals hilarious?  As for me, I'm not sure mine is ugly enough...I think my search will continue.

{ 4} In my first apartment after college, my roommate Sara and I decided to forego internet and TV.  We loved it--our living space was so peaceful, and we were both able to spend plenty of time pursuing other, much lovelier things, like reading together in the living room with a pumpkin candle, sitting on the floor talking, and discussing each other's outfits for the next day.  I never missed the computer, and when we did need it, it was easy to use the internet elsewhere.  I've been thinking a lot about those sweet days recently as I've realized how much time I spend online or blogging after I come home from work, even after I've already sat in front of a computer for the entire day.  So, I've made it a goal of mine to spend at least two nights a week completely unplugged, except for music and phone calls, and I really have found so much more time to exercise, read, and get things done around the house.  A few nights ago, we deep cleaned our entire apartment!  I usually clean pretty lazily, like vacuuming around things instead of moving them and giving the bathroom mirror a little wipedown before people come over, but really tidying and scrubbing everything felt so good.  I definitely recommend nights off from your computer!

{5} In the last few weeks, I read this article (Katie, NFP and Me) and this article (Trista, Not A Minx) on the subject of sleeping in the same bed before marriage.  I've always considered the fact that aside from the occasion of major temptation, even when you're trying to be chaste, the implication of two people "sleeping together" doesn't exactly connote something as innocent as literally just sharing a bed.  It's almost entirely due to grace that I made it to my wedding having never shared a bed with anyone I dated, including Andrew, so no judgment here.  I am curious, though, to know what you think.  Be sure to visit Katie and Trista's blogs to read the full rundown of their thoughts!

{6} I stumbled across this home workout series, Blogilates, this week.  I've been curious about Pilates for a while, and I haven't gotten around to these yet, but it seems like free videos are a good way to try it out, no?  I'm looking forward to it!There are cardio workouts and healthy living advice, too.  My one issue, sometimes, with fitness sites, is the underlying need to look a certain way for the sake of a guy or a bikini.  Personally, I'd much rather be healthy than conform to standards like these--there's enough pressure on us as it is.  Have you experienced anything like this?  If you like and use other fitness resources that have a more holistic, total-person approach, please do share!  And by the way, if you never caught one of my first posts about beauty, you can read it here!

{7} A few of my friends from work and I have decided to start a monthly book discussion!  For this former English major, it's been far too long since I've gotten to talk about what I'm reading with someone besides my husband, as interesting as he is, so I'm really pumped!  The first book we decided on is The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker.  Have any of you read it?  And if not, I love recommendations and would still enjoy hearing what you're reading right now!

A clean apartment, two upcoming weddings that are sure to be beautiful, I get to see my family this weekend, and two of my friends just welcomed their first baby, Therese Rose Marie!  It's an extraordinary life.  Tell me what you're up to, too!



10 comments:

  1. Your sweater is definitely not ugly enough lol, but it's a good start! The cardinals are marvelously hideous!

    I love the idea of an unplugged night! We are going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Marvelously hideous..." haha, I love it!

      Happy unplugging!

      Delete
  2. Yours isn't *toooo* bad, but that cardinal one is pretty awful. I hope you enjoy the upcoming weddings! I love weddings haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! And thank you--the wedding was amazing! So excited for you as yours gets closer!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Those sweaters are hilarious! I think yours is perfect. It's pretty ugly but not so ugly it's obvious you're being facetious. :)

    Thanks for the link love! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome =)

      As for the sweaters, "obviously ugly" was actually the goal, but you make a good point! They didn't show, but it also has bell sleeves!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for linking to me!

    Have so much fun with your book club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweaters are great...nice complement to each other....in an old-school, ugly way ;-)

    Unplugging is definitely a productivity booster. I generally find this out during Lent...LOL!

    Love the pic of the Cathedral!! Gorgeous!! Just Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're inspiring me...I'd love to try as unplugged of a Lent as possible!

      And yes, isn't the church amazing?? It's actually just the chapel at Mount St. Mary's University, but I think it's pretty enough to rival any cathedral!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...