Friday, August 10, 2012

New Feature! 7 Quick Takes

{story of a soul, condensed}

Ladies, I'm trying out a little something new today.  Jennifer Fulwiler, one of my favorite writers from the National Catholic Register, hosts a lovely feature on her personal blog, Conversion Diary, sharing seven tidbits from her week.  Some are stories, some are links to little things she's come upon, and all of them shine the light a little brighter on what's going on in her life.  Jennifer is generous enough to let other bloggers participate by adding a link to their 7 Quick Takes at the end of her post.  It's a great way to stumble across new-to-you blogs and share in Catholic sisterhood.  I figure I'll use this section to get a little more personal, and hopefully get to know you all better, too!  With prayer intentions, your funny little thoughts, and just anything you're into lately, I'd love to get a dialogue going in your comments.

And so, without further ado, seven quick takes on my life at this moment, told with a little help from Instagram:


{1} Our first anniversary was a few weeks ago now, but I just got the sweetest surprise from Teresa, one of my best friends.  At my bridal shower last summer, she gave me a set of placemats from my registry.  I'd asked for six, but she accidentally bought only five.  Tuesday, I came home from work to find a huge and dismantled Bed, Bath & Beyond box (Andrew beat me to it) with another placemat inside!  She also sent a set of salt and pepper grinders, the likes of which I have longed for for most of our friendship's duration.   Unbelievable!  She loves me so well.


{2} I love, love, love Ikea.  Those Swedes basically furnished my entire apartment.  It's affordable, nice to look at, and pretty decent quality.  What's not to like?  Inspired my friends, who owned a huge modular wine bottle rack/dish storage monster/cereal box holder called Gorm, we've taken to calling all of our stuff by its proper, and bizarre, Ikea names.  You know, the ones full of umlauts and strings of consonants?  There's Kivvik, our sofa (more often shortened to "Kivvs)," Nyvol, our bed, and Poang, that classic curvy chair that they have.  Boy, as I write this I'm realizing how weird we really are.  Anyway, in their going green and keeping prices low way, Ikea only prints one catalogue a year.  I was so happy to get mine this week!  It's my first time having one addressed just to me, and with my married name! 

{3} BIG news.  We have a new niece! Claire Elizabeth was born on the night of Tuesday, August 7.  Pure miracle.  Praying for her, her sweet mama Natalie, dad Anthony, and big bro Jacob!


{4}  Remember my post about making a bucket list?  Long have I wished to roast a whole chicken, which, aside from being delish, just feels like a worthy culinary skill: you get to stare down your fears as you rummage around in the raw cavity, determine the point of perfect crispiness and doneness, and then carve up that sucker like a boss.  This past weekend, I'm happy to report that the bird's been checked off my list!  The recipe I found was phenomenal.  Smashed potatoes, roasted garlic, and a lemony sauce: it's love.


{5} I doodled this for my desk at work this week.  Fiat means "let it be done" in Latin; it's Mary's answer to Gabriel at the Annunciation.  As four letter words go, this is definitely one of my favorites!  I constantly need the reminder to just surrender everything and to want what He wants.  We've had some exciting changes lately, like a new job for my husband and baby dreams stronger than ever on our hearts--I'm trying and trying to wait on the Lord's timing and to make sure I'm giving Him, not just me, a hand in our plans for the future.  Pray for us, please!

{6} A while ago, I introduced you to Verily, a new magazine for young women with a fresh, positive outlook and smart, stylish lifestyle features.  I absolutely love it!  Lately, I've also been completely immersed in Matchbook, an e-magazine full of spirit and class.  Matchbook's motto is, "From lipstick to letterpress, gelato to grosgrain, and Paris to Peru, consider us your field guide to a charmed life," and boy, does it deliver!  It's full of adorable entertaining ideas and swoonworthy fashion and decorating.  Definitely above my current budget and resources, but a girl can dream, right?  You can read the latest issue and entire archive here!


{7}  I am obssessed with Mumford and Sons.  Completely obssessed.  Their songs speak to such a desire for meaning and such longings for love and repentance.  I was absolutely thrilled to hear "I Will Wait," the first single from their forthcoming album, for the first time this week!  I love the lines,

So tame my flesh 
And fix my eyes,
A tethered mind freed from the lies.
And I'll kneel down, 
Wait for now.
And I'll kneel down, 
Know my ground.

Beauty.  If you haven't heard this yet, listen to it here!

What do you think?  Is this personal stuff a snore, or would you enjoy seeing some more (seven more?) 7 Quick Takes?  Have a good weekend, ladies!




10 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you're doing quick takes and I like learning more about you. I love Ikea too! All of our bedroom furniture is from there.

    Congratulations on your niece! What an exciting blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's funny, I've been reading your blog almost every day, and the more I read, the more I'm convinced we'd get along so well in real life! We are both newlyweds, I love running and cooking just like you, and now Ikea too!

      Delete
  2. The Quick Takes community isn't just a 'sisterhood." ;)

    #4 - Now there's a four letter word that starts with F that we should all get behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected =)

      Thanks so much, Thomas!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're doing 7QT. I LOVE Ikea. I can't wait to buy a house and completely fill it with the wonders that that store holds. Seriously.
    Congrats on your niece! new babies are so so exciting!
    That chicken looks amazing. Now I'm hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I hear you on the Ikea. The hard part is narrowing things down when the everything in the store is so darn amazing!

      It's been a long time since I was around a newborn, not just an infant, so I'm so excited to meet Claire!!

      Delete
  4. I went to university with the founders of Matchbook! They are delightful dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's incredible! I've spent the last couple days just devouring Katie's blog!

      Delete
  5. I'll have to check out Verifly... Thanks! Have you heard of Dignitas Magazine? It's pretty new and only available online, but they hope to get it in print soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person to tell me about Dignitas; I'll definitely have to check it out! Looking forward to it, and thanks so much!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...