Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Spirit Rejoices: Garden and All I Want Is You


{sweet sounds for your Mass and reception}

You know how some songs just attach themselves forever to a single memory?  Two years ago, I was driving to the South Jersey shore with my two brand-new fellow missionaries, who've since become my sister and brother, as we listened to Matt Maher's Alive Again CD.  The last few songs on the album, one of us mentioned, seemed to follow an order.  There's a song called "You Were On the Cross," which, as you might be able to guess if you don't know the song, is about the crucifixion.  It ends with these dramatic string swells, followed by a bunch of incomprehensible noise, which I always took to be the earth's quaking at the moment Jesus died.  The end of that song bleeds right into the next one, "Christ is Risen," and the progression is pretty obvious.

But what to make, we wondered, about the quiet, gentle final song, "Garden?"  We listened.  We repeated.  We talked.  The conclusion we ended up coming to was that, with lines like

Your love so strong
I can't recall
What was this thing
They call the fall?

and

All the broken are mended
The mournful rejoicing
Singing through tears
of peace overflowing,

this song is most likely about Heaven!  Disclaimer: until I was writing this post, I actually thought the last line right there was "a feast overflowing," which I guess would also fit.  But hey, it's not my song. Regardless, I'm always so blown away by this image of beauty: perfect peace, healing, and the Father's immense, eternal love.  It's a gorgeous duet that I think could have a super special place in your Mass--how can you not see the relationship between your own wedding and the wedding feast of the Lamb (even if "feast" isn't one of the words!), or not feel how strongly this song evokes the deep love between a man and woman that are mirrored in Christ's love for us all?  I love the image of your married relationship as a garden, hidden from the world and a refuge of comfort and honest, quiet intimacy.

You can listen to the song here.  Hulsie and Wilson, this one's for you:


Do you enjoy the movie Juno as much as I do?  I've always thought "All I Want Is You," the song from the opening credits, was so sweetly goofy, and I was surprised to learn that the singer, Barry Louis Polisar, is actually a children's artist!  No matter, with its sweet chorus of

All I want is you, will you be my bride
Take me by the hand
And stand by my side?
All I want is you, will you stay with me?
Hold me in your arms,
Sway me like the sea,

your guests of every age will be able to relate.  I'm imagining it played as a not too slow slow dance, if that makes any sense!  This little ditty is full of "ifs"-- "If I were a flower,"  "If I were a wink,"  "If you were an ocean..."  what's your favorite?

Listen and decide!


Throw in your two cents; I so love hearing what you ladies think!


4 comments:

  1. I love love love Matt Maher, that CD, and that song. :) I like your interpretation of a marriage being like that garden - a place of refuge and comfort. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Steph! I'd love to hear how all your wedding plans have been coming!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ohhh, I know! My heart! There are no words sometimes =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...