Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Spirit Rejoices: As I Kneel Beore You and You Are the Best Thing


{sweet sounds for your Mass and reception}

Chances are, if you're having a dedication to Our Lady at your wedding Mass, you've been checking out the host of hymns dedicated to her.  There are so, so many beautifully traditional choices like "Ave Maria," as well as a few newer ones, like As I Kneel Before You, that express perfectly a prayer to be united to her Son through her own heart.  There's a lovely, simple chorus that borrows from the Hail Mary in Latin and lines like this one that convey such a desire to surrender everything:

Take this day,
make it yours
and fill me with your love

In college, I was part of a group called Militia Immaculata, a prayer-based movement founded by St. Maximillian Kolbe.  There's a consecration prayer to Mary that includes, "Please make of me, of all my powers of soul and body, of my whole life, death, and eternity, whatever most pleases you."  That part of the prayer keeps coming back to me as I listen to this song.  It brings me such a sense of peace to consider the fact that any of my worries and all of my hopes and actions don't even belong to me; they are hers, and she knows so much better than I how they can be redeemed.  How she humbles me and how she loves me.  She'll pour her protection and guidance over the both of you.

I had a hard time finding a good sample for you, but there are versions on YouTube!  Do any of you know a source for youthful-sounding, nicely arranged hymns?

Onward we go...Ray LaMontagne is among my absolute favorites.  He sings with such an ache.  Lots of his songs are about lost love, but this one, You Are the Best Thing, is about nothing but the glorious feelings of joy and gratitude you find in your beloved.  It's when you feel like they are, in fact, the best thing that ever happened to you.  It sounds glorious, too--check out the huge horns and the choir!  The words are simple, but the sentiment's big:

Both of us have known love before
to come up on promising, like the spring...

...Our hearts are strong and our hearts are kind.
Well, let me tell you what exactly is on my mind

Listen up!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...