Monday, July 23, 2012

...All The Days Of My Life


I, Stephanie, take you, Andrew,


to be my husband.


I promise to be true to you


in good times and in bad,


in sickness and in health.


I will love you and honor you


all the days of my life.

One year ago today, we said yes.  Yes to self-giving, yes to suffering, yes to incredible joy, yes to the Cross and yes to its fulfillment--new life in Christ.  I've learned how my husband sorts the laundry, what it's like to search and search for a job, and what ways of loving are easy (a welcome-home kiss) and which are hard (humbling myself to apologize and swallowing my pride in my best effort at surrendering everything).  I've learned that it's not a cliche, but a true possibility, to fall in love every day, and that there's such sweetness in the depth of the ache you can feel for another human person.

Albert Camus said, "live to the point of tears."  I think I've cried more tears this past year than I ever have in my life.  There have been tears of frustration at circumstances beyond me, along with tears of purest happiness as I've marveled at the boy who steals my breath.  I don't deserve this happiness; it's by grace that it belongs to me for now, and I am thankful.  Love Himself really has let me receive Him through my husband in such a real way.

Thank you, Father, for the man you've given to me, and for the gift of someone so perfectly suited to my heart and my weaknesses.  Thank you for trusting me with the  gift of him; for placing his soul in my hands.  Empty me of everything that's not of you, that I might love him better and better.  Pour your grace, your mercy, over us and let the fire you've planted in us rise up to you.  How you love us.

Happy Anniversary to us.



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...