Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Spirit Rejoices: Come Holy Ghost and I Wanna Dance With Somebody

{sweet sounds for your Mass and reception}

Every year on Thanksgiving, my grandfather, our patriarch if you will, leads my family in grace.  "In the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost," he says in his Baltimore accent.  When I was a kid, I thought him saying "Holy Ghost" was hilarious, for some reason.  I think it was a combination of the accent and the name.  I don't giggle during grace too often anymore, though, and the fact that Poppy still uses this old-school phrase is something I've grown fond of and used to over time.  

Why am I telling you this?  It hasn't been that long since Pentecost, and when I was thinking of songs about the Holy Spirit, that little family tidbit kept coming to mind.  It brought me to this, the song Come Holy Ghost.  In preparing for your wedding day, I'm sure you've prayed to many a saint, and when you're up there on the altar, you'll be professing your love and fidelity before all of Heaven.  Who doesn't want to garner as many prayers as possible in such a profoundly beautiful moment (not to hoard them, of course, but in the hope that they'll bear fruit in your life together)?  I mean, think of what you've got already: the Father is present wherever two are gathered, you'll consume the body and blood of Christ, and you'll dedicate your marriage to His mother.  This lovely old hymn is a reminder to call down the Spirit, as well.  Every line lends itself so well to the start of a marriage, in my opinion.  Like these:

Thou the anointing Spirit art
Who dost thy sevenfold gifts impart
Thy blessed unction from above
Is comfort, life, and fire of love

You don't have to have a super charismatic spirituality to do it.  Ask to be set on fire, to profess love's truth with your marriage, and for the grace to be open to whatever gifts the Holy Spirit has to give you.  Ask for another Pentecost!

This one's for you, Poppy:


Often in this feature, I try to introduce you to songs by artists you might or might not already know, with the hope that they're original but still accessible (the indie, I'm-so-cool thing is so not me).  I'm proud of everything I've picked so far and I genuinely love the songs I've chose, but if we're going for full honesty here, I have to tell you that my tastes can also be pretty lame.  Example: family legend tells it that as a Michael Bolton-loving one year old, I politely, articulately asked my Aunt Nancy to play his music for me.  I still need a little dose every now and then.  You can laugh.  I have no shame left. 

Anyway, on to this week's musical choice.  In the well-known-but-not-lame category is one of my all-time faves, I Wanna Dance With Somebody.  If there is a better song to get people out on your dance floor, I would like to know what it is.  It's an important moment, you know?  Not to pressure you if it's not your thing, but I personally feel that having as many people dancing as possible is part of an ideal reception.  An upbeat song everyone knows the words to, like this one, is one of the best ways to kick it off (and check the ridiculous 80s looks in the video).

Don'cha wanna dance? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...