Friday, March 30, 2012

D I Y: Guestbook Collage

Guestbook collage, wedding collage, wedding DIY, guestbok alternatives, Printable press, metropolitan stationary, how to save on your wedding statonary, Catholic wedding planning, Catholic wedding blog, Catholic brides

Guestbooks are a nice way to record everyone who comes to your wedding and all, but I always kind of questioned their purpose.  A whole book that ends up under your coffee table with just a few of its pages filled?  I love the idea of turning this old tradition into something new and pretty that you can put out in the open- what gal doesn't want to surround herself with reminders of her wedding day after the bash is over?

To make this collage-style guest display, you'll need: a craft punch in any shape you want (I found my bird one at Michael's), a shadowbox frame, paint chips in your wedding colors, and poster-mounting squares or stick-on glue dots (you can get these at any craft store, too).


A note about the paint chips: take way more than you think you'll need.  I admit I felt the tiniest bit guilty slipping tons of them into my purse in the middle of Lowe's, in what I hoped was a non-suspicious way, but I did buy some lightbulbs that day.  Besides, if I was really going to paint my walls, I'd need that many chips anyway to get a reasonably sized swatch.

Get started by taking that sweet new paper punch to the paint chips.  Punch out as many shapes as you have guests, and be creative in your punch placement.  Don't disregard the little white part between each color on the strip, for instance.  It makes a subtly cool graphic statement.  Try to maneuver the punch so the cutouts are close together, which will help you maximize the number of shapes you can get from each paint chip.



Start arranging all of your punched-out shapes inside the frame.  I made a grid design, but if your tastes are more towards the abstract, you can scatter them or combine them into one larger shape.  Arrange the colors in a pattern, or not.  Up to you.  For my little flock here, I wanted the yellow birds to stand out among the gray, so I used fewer of them and tried to space them out.

Wedding DIY, wedding collage, guestbook alternative, paper punch crafts, Printable press, metropolitan stationary, how to save on your wedding statonary, Catholic wedding planning, Catholic wedding blog, Catholic brides

Fun, right?  Now all that's left is to attach the shapes to the interior of the frame.  The poster mounts or glue dots make gloriously easy work of it.  Add in your names, wedding date, or a favorite phrase, and you hold in your hands a seriously gorgeous, functional piece of artwork that you'll be happy to hang in your future nest (maybe I should've chosen a word other than nest because of the birds.  Oh well.).

Put this beauty on display at your reception with a few nice pens and let everyone sign and initial a shape. If you can't fit them all into one frame, just double or triple up.  They'll make a great gallery.  At the very least, you can be sure they won't get stuck on a shelf somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...